Community
Maya Animation and Rigging
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya animation topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

problems with the skinning

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
silvia_pezzin04
161 Views, 1 Reply

problems with the skinning

Hello everyone. I tried rigging for the first time, and afre creating my joints (skin, IK, FK) and my controls (also skin, IK,FK) i have to do the skinning now. But I have a problem that i don't understand at all, I'm exausted! probably is a stupid thing but, after binding the skin the arms don't move with the rest of the mesh, even if they are in the same hierachy. I froze everything of my GEO, and it seems like my joints are blocked, but nothing. I don't know what to do anymore. Thanks to everyone here!

I'm leaving here the screenshot of mi skin binding parameters and the image of the strange behaviour.

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
Kahylan
in reply to: silvia_pezzin04

Hi!

So, you sadly haven't really provided the right information here to help you. Because this isn't a  skinning issue, its a hierachy issue. Since your joints are also standing still, atleast as far as I can tell from your picture/description. Did Your joints move with the spine before you skinned your mesh?
Which joints are visible in your screenshot in the arms? Skin, FK or IK?

The most likely problem is, that your Arm controls don't follow your chest joint. See, when you constrain your arm joints to your FK controls or create an IK setup, you are telling them to ignore the direct hierachy above them, in favour of the special setup you build. But this means, that your controls need to follow each other as well. So the Arm controls need to either follow the chest skin joint that would move your arm joints, or the chest control that moves this chest joint.
You can pretty easily achieve that by creating a group in the hierarchy above your arm controls and then constraining that group to either the chest joint or the chest control.

I hope it helps!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report