Community
Maya Animation and Rigging
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya animation topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem recreating control rig after adding toes & fingers to Quick Rig

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
1025 Views, 2 Replies

Problem recreating control rig after adding toes & fingers to Quick Rig

I've added fingers and toes to a Quick Rig character. It was modeled in A-stance so after I completed the Quick Rig, I bound the skin using the Quick Rig feature and positioned the arms in a T-stance as shown in the first screen grab. I added the bones and joints for the left hand, then used the Mirror Joint tool for the right hand. I then Shift-selected the left fingers, used the center mouse button and dragged them to the left hand to connect them. I repeated this process for the right. I followed this same procedure for the toes. I unlocked definitions and defined the fingers and toes. All of the bones and joints are green and move as they should. I then relocked defintions. Before I attempted to recreate the control rig, I unbound the skin, then deleted history thinking it would prevent the mesh from returning to the A-stance position. As soon as I press the "Create Control Rig" icon, everything I've done turns into a mess. The bones and joints for the toes especially are strewn about the grid. See before and after screen grabs. Pressing CTRL+Z doesn't revert the character back to how it was prior to pressing the "Create Control Rig" icon. I close the scene without saving then reopen it. What have I done or not done? It all looks great until I re-create the control rig. Oh, and I don't know what I've done but for some reason the bones turned to various colours. Hopefully it is all an easy fix so I won't have to go through this entire process again. @t_chanma  any ideas? Help!

Jake Rigged & Defined.jpg

Jake Rigged & Defined Control Rig added.jpg

  

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
t_chanma
in reply to: Anonymous

Initially, you didn't need to unbind the skin first, then delete history - you just needed to delete history on ONLY the geometry (not the skeleton).  I fear what you may have done here is deleted the history on your entire skeleton, which will break the Quick Rig.  I think you will need to delete the skeleton and setup a new Quick Rig (this should be a pretty quick process).  I hope you saved your original skin weights though - if so, you can just apply them to the new rig.

Matt C

Senior Content Experience Designer

Maya Documentation | Maya Learning Channel |
Message 3 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: t_chanma

Thanks, Matt. I've saved a scene at each step (I have 9 of them!) so I'll
go back and review what I've saved. As for skin weights, I've not applied
any. I wanted to wait until I completely rigged the body and limbs before
doing that.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report