Community
Maya Animation and Rigging
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya animation topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

locators + Joints + PathConstraint

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
dg3duy
538 Views, 8 Replies

locators + Joints + PathConstraint

I have 2 splines in scene, in each of these splines a locator with path constraint runs through it.
What joins each one of the locators is a joint, what I do not know how to solve is that the joint does not turn unexpectedly as I show in the image, since the locators guide are not rotating, therefore I do not know the behavior of turns of the joint.
joints.gif

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Kahylan
in reply to: dg3duy

Hi!

Pathconstraints are really wonky when it comes to things where the object needs to be turned upside down.

Since you are doint this on a ribbon anyways, why not use a UV-pin constraint from the ribbon to the joints instead?

Message 3 of 9
dg3duy

@Kahylan It looks interesting and a way to try what you tell me, but unfortunately these are my first steps in maya in the area of path and joints, it is the first thing I really do.
You can make a simple example of what you mention, this sentence leaves me totally baffled. “UV-pin constraint from the ribbon to the joints”.

Message 4 of 9
dg3duy

@Kahylan I would love to see an example of what you mentioned, I still don't know how to solve the problem and you mentioned a way forward.
Greetings

Message 5 of 9
Kahylan

Hi,

Sorry for the late response. I realised that I couldn't explaint the whole process via text very well and decided to create a video to show you. But my Maya Lisence had just expired and getting a new one took longer than I expected, since I changed the place I teach since the last time I renewed my lisence.

You probably already solved this problem by now. But in case you haven't, here is the video on what I meant.

https://youtu.be/UAIpAME8N84

Once again, sorry for the late reply, the timing was a bit unfortunate

I hope it helps

Message 6 of 9
dg3duy
in reply to: Kahylan

@Kahylan It is exactly what I was looking for. I exploded with happiness when I saw the final result. I can't thank you enough, I was still looking for a way to solve it and you came at the right time! You are a total genius.

Message 7 of 9
dg3duy

@Kahylan 
uv pin.gifa problem arose, maybe it is related to the version of maya I am using at the moment, I am using 2020.4
when applying constrain uv pin I don't see it appear after applying the options in the editor attribute named offset parent matrix.
I select the polygonal object and then each joint and apply uv pin constraint, I look inside each joint and no offset parent matrix is shown

Message 8 of 9
dg3duy

It's working perfect, I don't see the offset panel that you can see in the video but it's working perfectly! in Maya 2024

Message 9 of 9
Kahylan

I'm not sure if they moved the panel for the offset parent matrix in 2024, I'm still on maya 2022.4.
But I'm glad to hear that everything is working 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report