Community
Maya Animation and Rigging
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya animation topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

keying a constrained control will break the connection

23 REPLIES 23
SOLVED
Message 1 of 24
gimble
4075 Views, 23 Replies

keying a constrained control will break the connection

Hello,

as the title suggests this is the problem I am having. Is there a way to NOT break the connection on a constrained object in Maya? Seems like a simple thing but I can't figure it out. I bake things a lot in animation, and this always breaks my connections.

Also if there is a way to do this, why is this not the default behaviour in Maya? If an animator spends time setting up constrained objects for his animation to work correctly, why would I want them to break by setting a key on the control that is constrained. Seems dumb. 

Thanks,

Craig.

23 REPLIES 23
Message 21 of 24
znelsonTPBXT
in reply to: mcw0

@mcw0 wrote:

This raises the question of why one would be keying a constrained object if one didn't want to transition away from the constraint. 

znelsonTPBXT_0-1696118450982.jpeg

With a model like the one above, the base is the parent of the yoke (the U-shape piece that rotates), and the yoke is the parent of the head (the cylinder of the light that tilts up/down). So it all needs to parent  properly, but you also need to key each separately on a given axis. So the yoke needs a key on its Z, and the head needs a key on its X/Y, but if you rotate yoke the head must follow, and if you move the base everything comes along for the ride. The problem with hitting 's' is the other axes get stepped on and it breaks the constraints entirely. Been fighting this for months! You have to be very careful to only key the one specific axis that you want in this case or it all breaks.

Message 22 of 24
mcw0
in reply to: znelsonTPBXT

Sorry but I'm completely lost.  There are no constraints in your example.  So how does this relate to the original post?

In regard to your example, the setup should have unused channels locked.  I don't see how there would be any issues animating the hierarchy you described.

Message 23 of 24
dinofiguera
in reply to: gimble

I think you should not use that preference option that keeps the constraint active because this does not add the blend parent attribute which is one of the most useful attributes for animators.
 instead, you should avoid setting keyframes to constrained objects, Unless you need it to animate the constraint on/off.

In your gun rig, for example, you should have your main control, with all the gun attributes, a parent transform node to have the chance to freely offset your object position, and finally, another parent control which is the one to constrain. 
This way you have all the freedom to add as many keyframes as you want in your gun and be sure to not touch the constrained attribute.
when you want to detach the gun from the hand, you can then keyframe the constrained parent.
D

Message 24 of 24
ragnar_vanzante
in reply to: gimble

You have saved my life. I have been up all night working on my first animation project. I have no Idea how to rig but am a proficient modeler and sculptor so my model was extremely complicated and there were no rigging tutorials I could just copy and paste from. I finally got my bodged rig working so that my platemeil coif underneath my Gjermundbu helmet moved correctly and when I finally started animating about 12 hours ago I ran into this issue and have been trying to fix it since. Thank you!!! 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report