Community
Maya Animation and Rigging
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya animation topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is their a way to apply/finalize a blendshape made from a target selection?

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
brandon.feist
613 Views, 6 Replies

Is their a way to apply/finalize a blendshape made from a target selection?

After creating a blendshape from target selection, is there a way to apply it so that it is no longer linked to the target? I'm trying to use a rigged face to create different blendshaped facial expressions (e.g. open mouth, smile, etc). So after making one blendshape from this rigged target, I want to be able to change the facial expression on the rig and make the next blendshape without changing the previous one (since right now its linked to the mesh). I want to avoid having 27 copies of this rigged mesh.

Labels (2)
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Baboonian
in reply to: brandon.feist

The shape editor has an "edit" button on the target 

There is also an "add target" 

Message 3 of 7
brandon.feist
in reply to: Baboonian

Oh wow, I'm embarrassed how simple that was. Turn the edit button on, reset the target mesh to default, then turn the edit button off.
Message 4 of 7
brandon.feist
in reply to: Baboonian

So it worked at first but does not seem to be the case anymore I'm not sure what I did where it worked the first time. After clicking edit and resetting the target mesh's facial rig, the blendshape mesh follows and resets also.

Message 5 of 7

It is quite hard to understand what mental exercise you are doing in your video - the 720p resolution is obviously too low, also your voice comments would have been of a great help to comprehend your intentions.

However, the "old way" to unlink the target shape from the base, you simply make a copy of the target and delete it's original. Also, when you create a new blendshape or add a new target (from ShapeEd or Deform menu) - selection, selection order and creation options matter.

,,,_°(O__O)°_,,,
Maya2019.1 @ Windows10 & GeForce GTX1080Ti

If the post was helpful, click the
 ACCEPT SOLUTION  button, so others might find it much more easily.

Message 6 of 7
Baboonian
in reply to: brandon.feist

sorry, on my desktop youtube is blocked. But the "reset" button just drives the target value to zero. 

you may reset vertexes, by selecting all of them and inputting "0" to the CVs field in the channel box. 

Message 7 of 7

Hey thanks this was helpful, copying and deleting the old target worked!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report