Community
Maya Animation and Rigging
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya animation topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IK makes the Knee rotate weird

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
fell.fabian.marcel
509 Views, 4 Replies

IK makes the Knee rotate weird

Hi!
I have recently been trying to rig a chracter that I have rigged in Cinema 4D but now in Maya.
Since this chracter will be used for modding games, I am forced to keep the bones original rotations.

So when rigging in Cinema, I had no ik Problems, the knee was just pointing forward in the Z-Axis which was great.
In maya it is all kind's of wonky - what can I do?

Ps: While at it, how do I control the foots rotation seperetly, in Cinema I use a transform constraint on bone and IKHandle but in Maya Parent and Point constraints mess everything up.

Cinema:

fellfabianmarcel_0-1669982420435.png

Maya:

fellfabianmarcel_1-1669982557051.png

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Hi!

If your rotation backwards and forwards is on one axis, you can set a preferred angle to the the IK how to rotate.

1) Delete the IK Handle

2) Rotate your shin bone Backwards

3) use the Skeleton -> Set Preferred Angle  command.

4) Recreate the IK Handle

If it isn't on a single axis, which seems to be the case since maya chose this rotation, you can use a Pole Vector Constraint to tell the Knee where it should be facing.

1) Create a Locator

2) Snap it to the knee and then move it away straight forward

3) Select the Locator and the IK Handle and use the Constrain -> Pole Vector command

I hope it helps!

Message 3 of 5

Thanks for the answer!
I have tried your solution but it still bends weirdly, the knee just doesnt point at the pole.

Any ideas?

I attached a example.

Many thanks!

Message 4 of 5

On your Pole Vector you have 3 Values called "Offset X", "Offset Y" and "Offset Z". Depending on the orientation one of those attributes will allow you to rotate the leg toward the pole vector.

Message 5 of 5

I tried out your solution but figured out that this problem was bigger than I thought!

After some more research, I found a very good reddit post explaining things.
- Export weights (great tutorial linked https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOjL-40P4-E)

- Unbind mesh

- Freeze Transformations on Legs only

- Bind mesh
- Import weights (also in same tutorial)

Thank you for your help though!
Many thanks,
Fabian F.

In this video I am showing the method and tips related to exporting and importing skin weights using in Maya.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report