Community
Maya Animation and Rigging
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya animation topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Transfer Mesh data to rig nurbs controller

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
blaze3919
163 Views, 1 Reply

How to Transfer Mesh data to rig nurbs controller

Hello,

Can mesh data be transferred to controllers, for instance, I have an animation alembic in a rig mesh and would like to pass that data to controllers of the rig?

Is it possible? If yes, please share thanks. 

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
Kahylan
in reply to: blaze3919

Hi!

Not very reliably sadly.

What you can do, is the following:

for each of your controls decide on a vertex that has the movement this control would have. So for example for your IK wrist control, you would use a vertex in the wrist. Select the vertices and create a UVPin Constraint for each of them (your mesh needs to have proper UV's for this to work), this should give you a locator on each of the vertices that follow your alembic. Then create parent constraints from your locators to your controllers ("Maintain Offset" turned on). Your rig should now move with your alembic. If you are happy with the result, use the "Bake Simulation" command to back the animation onto the controllers so you can delete all the locators and parent constraints.

This method is quite hacky and doesn't work very reliably, but there isn't really a good way to transform surface data from a cache into world position data that I'm familiar with...

I hope it helps!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report