Community
Maya Animation and Rigging
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya animation topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Fix jumping IK spline

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
Richardd013
402 Views, 1 Reply

How to Fix jumping IK spline

Im sort of testing to rig a human spine (neck part) by using spline IK in maya. 

so i ve built a curve with CV points amount exactly the same as the spine models. then i also attached joints along the CV points which are centered to the spine models. and i had another separated joints only to control the curve so it can bend along the axis. i can control the amount of CV points that being influenced by controlling the amount of weights of each CV. 

i used a circle and a locator here just to make the movement more visible and clear. but the problem is when the joints bend to a certain degree, you can notice that the IK spline kinda jumped so it affected the spine to be off from the position. am i missing something or there is another way to fix this? i ve heard that maya IK spline sometimes can be buggy and some use another trick to build similar effect and less buggy.

thanks for reading! 

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
jmreinhart
in reply to: Richardd013

It looks like the joint that is driving the curve is flipping at 90 degrees, which makes the curve jump to a new position. If you are driving it with an aimConstraint then you just need to change the settings for the constraint.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report