Community
Maya Animation and Rigging
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya animation topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First time using Driven Key - Can't seem to get it working.

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
layomayolayo
348 Views, 1 Reply

First time using Driven Key - Can't seem to get it working.

I have a simple working crankshaft rig utilizing two aim constraints, and two point constraints. I want to set the rotation of this main shaft to drive the rotation of the other parts. How do I get this to work? Or, is there an easier/better way to do this? I am new to rigging, so any help is appreciated. Attached is my scene file. Thanks!riggingquestion2.PNG

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
osidedan
in reply to: layomayolayo

orient constraint is what you want 🙂 
Orient constraint is a fancy way of saying rotation constraint. Select the main shaft(polySurface119 as it's called in the file you provided), then shift select the first crankshaft piece you want to control. Go to Constrain>orient>option box. Use the following, settings:

2019-07-04 23_01_55-Orient Constraint Options.png

To continue constraining the rest of them, just repeat the process. select the main shaft (polySurface119), shift select the next crankshaft piece, do the constrain. Repeat until they're all constrained. I'm attaching a video to show what it should look like once you've done them all. Let me know if you need any more clarification on that!

Edit: I just noticed you mentioned set driven key. Is this for a school assignment? if so, and your teacher wants it to be done with set driven keys let me know, I can elaborate on that method as well. It's just a different way of doing it. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report