Community
Maya Animation and Rigging
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya animation topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exporting FBX files - geometry with visibility turned off still visible upon import into other programs

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
cms9094
1363 Views, 2 Replies

Exporting FBX files - geometry with visibility turned off still visible upon import into other programs

I have a custom program that can import FBX files. This program then renders the animations. This program was built using the FBX SDK. Apparently, there is a "hidden" flag that can be read from the FBX file, but when selecting visibility to "off" on geometry, this geometry does not have the "hidden" flag attached to it after exporting the FBX.

Is there another way I can make sure that hidden geometry does not show as visible upon exporting the FBX file?

EDIT: Apparently, even setting keys for the specific geometry's "visibility" attribute isn't enough to hide the geometry... That's really odd.. Why wouldn't the FBX file export the animation with the geometry not visible when I specifically set keys for its visibility to "off"?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Kahylan
in reply to: cms9094

Hi!

Have you tried to reimport your FBX into Maya to check if the FBX has not exported visibility at all or if it is just the programm you are using that can't read it?

Maya in the Versions of 2018 and up should support the export of visibility in FBX and do it automatically if the "Animation" flag is checked when exporting the FBX.

However different Programms read and compute visibility different, so you will have to check how to import visibility into your program/link the visibility animatio to your timeline. And some Programs just don't support the visibility feature, since it is "relatively new" as it was only introduced in FBX2018 (i.e Substance Painter, Unreal Engine)

I hope this helps!

Message 3 of 3
cms9094
in reply to: Kahylan

I managed to get this figured out, actually.

It turns out that the geometry in question was parented to another piece of geometry, and not to an actual bone. I don't know why this would affect anything, but I decided to delete the geometry, and then parent the new geometry to an actual bone. Turning off visibility now works when exporting. I check Blender, and it does not show up in the viewport.

Again, I don't know why parenting would matter, but.. here we are. Maybe it was something else, but I have no idea what that would be.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report