Community
Maya Animation and Rigging
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya animation topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exporting Animation Questoins

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
Anonymous
548 Views, 11 Replies

Exporting Animation Questoins

Hi, I'm extremely new to Maya, and I'm learning on my own, and was wondering someone can tell me how to export my animation so I can e-mail it friends and family and they can view it? I'm unfamiliar with the file formats as far as like .fdx and such, so I'm completely in the dark when it comes to exporting/saving.

Also, I've read conflicting tutorials on animation and some say to make sure the "Auto Keyframe toggle" is red, other state that it isn't important, so I'm still not sure what that does yet, can someone shed some light?

Lastly, when I preview an animation in maya its speeds through like 200 frames in 1 second, so my animations have to be like 15k frames long just to see a ball roll down a short ramp and it goes at super speeds, can someone tell me how to change that to go back to the 24FPS (Which I think is suppose to be default)?

Thanks in advance!

~Snypr
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Alright, so first off you want to render it as a movie you have to go to Render Settings, there's a button for it on the status line (if you hover over it it will say Display Render Settings on the tool tip line, but it looks like a clapperboard with two circles on it's left.)

Now that you're in the render settings, give your animation a name by typing it in the file name prefix. Go to image format and change it to a video format like AVI, then type in the start and end frames. Also make sure the renderable camera is perspective or camera1 or whatever view you want to render.

So now you want to go to that drop-down box in the top left corner and selecting Rendering. Then go to Render > Batch render. It'll tell you when it's done in the output window, and where it was rendered to.

Now as for your other questions: Auto Keyframe toggle is important. Definitely. If it's red, it will set a keyframe for just about every action you make, really messing up what you want to do. Just leave it off, later down the road when you're more comfortable with the software, give it a look, it could save time.

It probably does the 200 frame per second thing because you have some weird setting in your Animation preferences (that would be the button right next to the auto keyframe toggle by the way) Go to playback and set the speed to something like Real time 24fps.

Hope that all helps!
Message 3 of 12
Anonymous

Awesome, Yes that helped a ton, answered all of my questions! Many thanks!

~Snypr
Message 4 of 12
Anonymous

Um actually, I did the render, and i named it Test1... and it created a "Test1.avi.tmp.avi" that is 0kb...yet it said the render was complete. It also told me to check the "mayaRenderlog.txt" for information, um...did I miss something? I did it 3 times following your instructions exactly. But I fear I have missed something.

Thanks in advance again.

~Snypr

**Addition** It actually creates 2 files..."Test1.avi.ng" AND "Test1.avi.tmp.avi" Yet both are unable to be viewed.
Message 5 of 12
Anonymous

Hmm, I'm not sure, try entering in the File Name prefix blank then rendering.
Message 6 of 12
Anonymous

I did that and I got untitled.tmp.avi and untitled.ng
Message 7 of 12
Anonymous

If I posted my mayaRenderlog.txt would that help?

~Snypr
Message 8 of 12
Anonymous

I have about 10 entries like this one, this was the most recent one I've done, all of which are about the same.

with the only difference being the name of the file. Also is there A way to change the output file directory?

Thanks Again!

~Snypr

7/9/2008
File read in 0 seconds.
Result: *Path Hidden*
Total Elapsed Time Since Start Of Maya (hh:mm:ss): 00:00:12
====================================
Resource Usage At Start Of Rendering
31932 Page faults
124.703 Mb Max resident size
123.148 Mb Peak total size(Estimated)
12.671 Mb Peak arena size
124.703 Mb Current
12.031 Mb MEL
0.125 Mb Keys
0.002 Mb arguments
0.125 Mb Transforms
0.328 Mb Data Blocks
0.063 Mb Arrays
Warning: Cycle on 'pSphere1.worldMatrix' may not evaluate as expected. (Use 'cycleCheck -e off' to disable this warning.)
Rendering using 4 threads.
A default light has been created, modify defaultRenderGlobals.enableDefaultLight to change this behavior.
Warning: Cycle on 'pSphere1.worldMatrix' may not evaluate as expected. (Use 'cycleCheck -e off' to disable this warning.)
Automatic near/far clipping values: 0.1, 14.3336.
Rendering frame 1.
Starting Rendering C:/*Path Hidden*
Constructing shading groups.

Rendering current frame.
Frame triangle count: 1210
Resource Usage At End Of Frame
3852 Page faults
139.660 Mb Max resident size
134.578 Mb Peak total size(Estimated)
26.672 Mb Peak arena size
136.898 Mb Current
12.031 Mb MEL
0.125 Mb Keys
0.002 Mb arguments
0.125 Mb Transforms
0.328 Mb Data Blocks
10.500 Mb Render Cache
0.007 Mb Render Geometry Arena
0.063 Mb Arrays
Postprocessing rendering result.
Result: C:/*Path Hidden*
Fatal Error. Attempting to save in C:/*Path Hidden*
Message 9 of 12
Anonymous

It looks like something is wrong with your scene, try optimizing it by going to File > Optimize. Also delete any history.

Best of luck.
Message 10 of 12
Anonymous

Thanks Much, I was able to get it render as uncompressed, but I wasn't able to get it to render with the "Microsoft Video 1" setting which is what it was on apparently. I will also optimize, thanks for all the help, I greatly Appreciate it!

~Snypr
Message 11 of 12
Anonymous

Hello,

Rendering to avi is not bad, but as you have indicated might encounter many problems (such as codec failures, framerate mismatch etc...)

A better work-flow is to render the animation into images (preferably tiff format or tga format) and then use post-processing tools such as Combustion or AfterEffects etc... to combine the generated images to an animation movie you like. This is the typical professional workflow and offers you more control over your final sequence. (For example, if you would like to overlay your animation over a static 2D background then you can do that very easily with those post-processing tools. Please refer to any "Multipass Rendering" topic for more details on it)

In case you are not much interested in the post-processing or do not have access to those post-processing software, you can still use any good video editing tool to combine the generated images into a movie. The advantage is, you do not need to re-render the whole animation if you would just like to, say change the compression mode, or say change the frame-rate. You can just use your image sequence and re-create the video with your new codec settings or frame-rate settings.

Vegas Pro, ULead Movie Studio etc... are professional video editing software that let you create movies out of your image sequences. There are many free editing tools available too, such as Avid Free or Windows Movie Maker (Please check listings such as http://tv.isg.si/site/?q=node/873 or http://labnol.blogspot.com/2007/01/free-video-editing-software-for.html ). Of course, if you would like to get creative you can roll out your own custom animation creation application with my C++ movie creation library ( http://www.geocities.com/krishnapg/createmovie.html ). The advantage with these tools is, we can concentrate on the "movie" part without bothering about Maya rendering times. We can test create the video (from our Maya generated images) with one codec and see the size and quality, change the codec or framerate and re-create the video and check it again for quality and so on. This is especially useful, if you would like to target for multiple types of audience, such as if you are planning to distribute your video over web you can create one movie with low bit-rate and then you can create another hi-fi version with high bitrate for off-line play. All without costing precious Maya's rendering times (especially if your scene keeps growing in complexity, costing more rendering time).

The way you can generate image sequence from Maya is, once again by using the Render Settings. Follow the below steps as usual:

1. From the Window Menu, click Rendering Editors | Render Settings
2. In the Common Tab, for the Frame/Animation ext: entry select "name.#.ext" This determines the filename format of the output image sequence. You can select others also, such as name.ext.# But leaving the extension in the end makes the OS recognize the file-type.
3. For the Image Format Entry, select either "Tiff16" or "Targa". These are the most compatible formats for many video editors (and support some special channels that you might later find useful if you move into Multipass Rendering)
4. For the Start Frame entry, select the animation frame start, and for the End Frame entry specify the animation end frame. This is the frame range that will be rendered as image sequence. Usually you can leave the By Frame value to be 1
5. For the Frame padding entry, select a value 3 or 4. This will decide the number width for the output filename. (As you keep changing the Frame padding entry, the FileName preview keeps changing on the top, near the Common Tab header. You can use a value that gives enough range for all your frame numbers to fit in.)
6. In the Image Size section, select a reasonable size for your output frame. You can use the Presets combo to select one of the presets.
7. Once you are done with the settings, please double check the Path, FileName, To and Image Size label values displayed immediately under the Common Tab header. These are your settings that will be used for the Rendering. Ensure that your path is valid and that you have permissions to create and write output images for that path.
8. Close the Render settings window and use the Render | Batch Render option to start the rendering. Once it is finished, you can find your images in the path you have noticed in the Render Settings.

You can quickly check your animation with the FCheck.exe (available in the Maya/bin directory).
1. Start FCheck.exe
2. Use the File | Open Animation option and select the first image in your sequence. Typically it will have name like, FileName.0001.tga
3. Once you click the Open button, FCheck will automatically load all the rest of the images in the sequence and will start playing for you as an animation sequence. (In the first pass it might be little bit slow, but later on it will keep up with the speed). Try adjusting the FPS entry and have fun.

All the best.

P.Gopalakrishna
http://www.geocities.com/krishnapg/
Message 12 of 12
Anonymous

Awesome thank you for the post, I'll be looking into doing that, especially since i'm going to be doing a few high definition renders down the road.

I have access to a few of the software pieces you mentioned and I'll be looking through those and seeing what I can learn and how I can use them with Maya. Again, thanks for the response!!! Its been a GREAT help to me!!!

~Snypr

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report