Community
Maya Animation and Rigging
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya animation topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange Skeleton Of Multi Mesh Unity Zombie Character

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
712 Views, 3 Replies

Exchange Skeleton Of Multi Mesh Unity Zombie Character

Hi all,

i just entered this forum due to a problem i can not solve. Was looking hours and hours for a solution online without luck. I hope you guys have some ideas for me.

I am working on a Unity FPS Game and have downloaded this Asset for first tests: https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/3d/characters/humanoids/zombie-30232

My goal is to transfer other animations on that model and use the multi mesh for dismembering scripts.

When i load the model in Maya (i dont know why but the model is very big, have to modify far clip plane of my perp cam to see it and have to scale the skelet down to 1 from 100) Any clue why?

1.jpg

The first thing i wanted to do is to set it to T-Pose. So started to set all Joint Rotations to 0. I encountered the problem that some of the Rotations needed to be -90 degree for example for a correct pose. Does this mean that the creator of the Asset made something wrong with the skelet of the character?

2.jpg

I downloaded an Animation from Mixamo (Zombie Crawl) and have set the Mixamo Model to T-Pose (all joint rotation was 0)

3.jpg

Then i copied the skelet from the Mixamo Character and have placed it perfeclty into the Zombie Character.

4.jpg

Now the problem i have is that when i skin the skelet by selecting all meshes and the skeleton that i get open parts between the meshes. I tried to play around with the skin weight tool without positive results.

5.jpg

This is how it looks with the original skelet from the Asset (It looks as if the edges of the different meshes are stick together, even if i translate the joint, everything seems to stick together):

6.jpg

Now the big question is, shall i continue this approach to have a nice prepared character on which i can transfer Mixamo animations and also use it for dismembering scripts

OR

Shall i try to learn how to prepare a single mesh character to a multi mesh character which already has a working nice skeleton model

Another approach would be maybe to fix the skeleton of the original model but i dont know how to do that. What i would need to do here is that when every joints rotation is 0 it must be in T-Pose.

I am really stuck here and i hope you guys can help me out to create a Zombie on which i can transfer nice mocap animations but also with dismembering capabilities. What would be the correct approach here?

Best,

Damien

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Update 01.09.2019: I think i found a solution for my problem. I am now playing around more with the skin weight tool, this seems to be the solution, just need to have a perfect skin weight.

Message 3 of 4
osidedan
in reply to: Anonymous

Hello! To answer your question about the scale, I'd say that is probably because default maya working units are centimeters, and unity uses meters. So when importing the mesh, it will seem giant. (also, there's 100 centimeters in a meter, which makes sense as why you have to scale by a factor of 100)

As for the skinning, you are indeed correct that it is a skin weights issue. When you have meshes that are separated like that, you have to make sure that the skin weights where the seam is are identical. A quick way to do this is to use the Copy/Paste vertex weights functions. select a vertex on your first mesh that you want the other mesh to match. Go to Skin>Copy Vertex weights. now go to your other mesh that has a vertex at that same point, select that vertex, and go Skin>Paste Vertex weights. This will make the skin weighting identical for those two points. It's tedious to go through all the vertices like that, but it will solve the issue. 

Let me know if you need more info on that!

Message 4 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: osidedan

Thanks a lot osidedan, i will try your advice and give feedback as soon as i am in the process.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report