Community
Maya Animation and Rigging
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya animation topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't access Move Keys Tool settings in Maya 2017

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
wkistler
1204 Views, 6 Replies

Can't access Move Keys Tool settings in Maya 2017

In the graph editor, when I go to Edit > Transformation Tools > Move Keys Tool > Settings, I get the settings box for the regular move tool:

move_toolJPG.JPG

If I'm in Maya 2016, though, the right settings come up just fine:

move_keys_toolJPG.JPG

How do I get to these tool settings in Maya 2017?   Thanks.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: wkistler

I have the same problem in 2018 as well. I can force the GUI to display via the below MEL command, but it doesn't seem to affect the behavior of the move keys tool inside the 'Modern' graph editor.

moveKeyValues moveKeyContext;

Message 3 of 7
mspeer
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi!

@Anonymous and @wkistler, the content of the Move Tool options seems to be dependent on window focus.

Keep the Tool Settings window open and If you click inside the Viewport you'll get different options than clicking inside Graph Editor (right part).

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: mspeer

Hi @mspeer

Thanks for your thoughts. I totally get what you are saying about the Move Tool options being dependent on window focus. This works for me as you describe in maya 2016 and in 2018 with the 'Classic' graph editor. However, when using the new 'Modern' graph editor on 2018, changing window focus onto the graph editor does not activate the move keys tool options for me in the move tool options window. Furthermore, when I try to force those options to display via the MEL command I mentioned in my previous post, changing those options doesn't appear to have any affect on the behaviour of the move keys tool inside the 'Modern' graph editor. Specifically I am trying to access the "Move falloff" option to switch between "Linear" and "Constant" mode. Maybe there is another way to toggle this behavior?

Thanks!

Message 5 of 7
mspeer

Hi!

Try a reset of your preferences.
Rename the folder prefs in folder 2018 to something like prefs_backup, or to reset everything, the folder 2018 to 2018_backup (or even the maya folder to maya_backup). Maya creates new folders (don't copy preferences from previous Maya versions). Detailed at:
https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/maya/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Reset-May...

Here are the commands to change the falloff with MEL:

moveKeyCtx -e -mf "constant" moveKeyContext;
moveKeyCtx -e -mf "linear" moveKeyContext;
moveKeyCtx -e -mf "power" moveKeyContext;
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: mspeer

Hi  @mspeer

Thanks for your suggestions.

At the moment I'm trying this on Maya 2017 Update 5, and unfortunately after resetting my prefs, I'm still unable to access this move keys tool settings window no matter what kind combination of contexts I try involving the modern graph editor (FYI I'm running Linux). I am able to get this move keys tool options window to display using the classic graph editor however, irrespective of resetting my prefs.

Additionally those MEL commands for changing the falloff also don't appear to have any affect on the modern graph editor for me. However, they do work with the classic editor.

Maybe this has been fixed in 2018? I'll give a go with 2018 if you think that's also worth trying.

Message 7 of 7
Anonymous

There doesn't appear to be any difference in Maya 2018. Any chance this missing move keys tool behavior for the modern graph editor can be investigated/restored by Autodesk?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report