Community
Maya Animation and Rigging
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya animation topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cache Playback problem

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
tevin93
4501 Views, 6 Replies

Cache Playback problem

Hi everyone

Hoping you can help I've been doing animation in Maya 2019 and I've gotten this message in my script editor

# Warning: Cached Playback: Out of memory. Allocated memory limit for caching has been reached so caching has stopped. See the Script Editor for details. #

I wondering is there a way to clear the cache or free up memory or something so that it doesn't take my mouse 20 minutes to get from one side of the screen to the other just to stop the play button

Labels (5)
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
kelly_hynes
in reply to: tevin93

Hello,

You can shorten the playback range in time slider.  Or, in the Evaluation toolkit, you can increase the amount of memory the cache is using.  Windows < General Editors < Evaluation toolkit < 13) Caching < Percentage of RAM = increase this amount to something higher then 50, maybe try 75%.

You can right click in the timeline to open the Cached Playback menu and try another cached playback mode.  'Evaluation' is the default mode, but there are also two Viewport modes that could provide better results depending on your machine config.

Hope this helps.

Kelly

Kelly Hynes
Manager, Software QA Engineering
Installation & Licensing forums | Contact product support | Autodesk AREA

Message 3 of 7
tevin93
in reply to: kelly_hynes

Thank you kelly for the help

I'm attempting that method but I think either there's something up with my laptop or Maya 2019 because I've clicked on evaluation toolkit multiple times but it doesn't show up. 

thanks again for the help

Tevin

Message 4 of 7
kelly_hynes

Ok.  What are your machine specs?

Kelly

Kelly Hynes

Message 5 of 7
tevin93

Aspire E5-573G

Device name LAPTOP-3CPQSUQC
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-5200U CPU @ 2.20GHz 2.20 GHz
Installed RAM 8.00 GB
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

Message 6 of 7
kelly_hynes

Looks like your graphic card is not certified for Maya. 

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/sites/default/files/HardwareCertificationResults_Maya_MotionBuilder_M...

However, I'm not sure it is the cause of the problem that you are seeing.  You have 8G of ram.  Maya open without a scene loaded will probably take 1.5 G of that ram.   How big is your scene?  Can you turn off textures, or reduce the memory usage some how?  Make sure to have the last update of Maya 2019 installed as well as an up to date graphics card driver.

If you load a smaller scene with animation and cached playback, are you able to click around Maya without problems? 

Kelly Hynes

Message 7 of 7
tevin93
in reply to: kelly_hynes

My scene has 6 characters along with props and locators and its inside a corridor. I do have a more powerful PC that has gtx 1070 and 16gb ram but at the moment I have to use my laptop while I'm away from home. Ive managed to kinda deal with the problem by reducing the size of the playback range.

this what the scene looks like while I work on it and animate

The corridor which I got from free3d is hiddenThe corridor which I got from free3d is hidden

And this is what it looks like with the corridor...I haven't added any lights but I am hoping to at a later date when I can get back on my other PC that I take this entire scene into the unreal engine 4 and light the scene and hopefully add some fx like sparks and bullet ricochets, I might be getting ahead of myself seeing as I've only worked in unreal for all of 6 weeks 3 years ago

sceneview 2.JPG

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report