Community
Maya Animation and Rigging
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya animation topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bow\crossbow rigging

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
2153 Views, 3 Replies

Bow\crossbow rigging

Hello, everyone

I am new to modeling and rigging especially, so pardon if the question seems stupid or irrelevant, but still..

I've been modeling a crossbow. I wanted to rig it, like it is shooting an arrow. An example I found here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCgg33WlA3c (sadly, the author doesn't remember, how he did it).

I can't figure out how to rig the string. Somehow on the video the two children joints are merged on the string or something. Can anyone help me with the scheme how to rig it? I tried various schemes but I always end up with only one side of the bow rigged... Maybe there is a way to make two child-joints or two IK handles and merge them? 

Tags (3)
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Roland.Reyer
in reply to: Anonymous

Have you tried to mirror the joints (mirror option in the joint tool)?

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous

Hey there!!

Just saw this on the forum about 20 minutes ago, never have I rigged a bow before, but thought I should go at it and try to help you out! (:

Attached below is a screencast, made the scene as clean as possible for you to understand the process yourself. Essentially you want a joint chain and the last two joints are on top of one another. You will have 2 IK Handles in which those IK Handles are children of a control there that has freeze transforms and deleted history on it!

As well, looking at my example you can see how you can make your rig as well scalable, just in case you have to make the bow bigger or smaller! (:

Hope the maya screencast helps out!!

I actually have a 14+ hour course with over 120+ lessons that covers everything in Maya rigging, from the very basics to much more advanced stuff!

The link to my website is below! (: best of luck!!

RIGGING WEBSITE

Message 4 of 4
Anonymous

try using Mirror option and it will work fine for you.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report