Community
Maya Animation and Rigging
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya animation topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bind skin bugged?

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
rayco05
1402 Views, 3 Replies

Bind skin bugged?

Fairly new to Maya so I'm not sure if this is just a bug?

Half the time my bind skin doesn't work and I have to undo and bind skin again before it actually moves with the character. But once I save it and reload the file, the character no longer moves with the joints but Maya still thinks it is binded. The rig becomes unusable and I have to unbind it and rebind it. This didn't happen before with a previous character but now it happens every single time I reload a file after binding. 

I've tried importing my model into a different file before binding in case that file was corrupted but it still does the same thing. I've tried resetting preferences and reinstalling as well.

I also get another wierd thing where if I reload a file, the skeleton will move downwards and the arm bones will no longer be in the character arms. 

Edit: I'm really not sure what was wrong with my model, however, importing my model as OBJ into a new file did the trick and I did not face anymore of these wierd issues in the new file.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
hamsterHamster
in reply to: rayco05

Still unclear, could be display issues or something else.

Was the skin without the construction history, before you bound it to the skeleton? on exporting OBJ the history gets automatically deleted, you can do Edit>DeleteByType>NonDeformerHistory for the bound model, or just History for unbound.

If this doesn't help, attach that faulty zipped scene, zipped MA.

,,,_°(O__O)°_,,,
Maya2019.1 @ Windows10 & GeForce GTX1080Ti

If the post was helpful, click the
 ACCEPT SOLUTION  button, so others might find it much more easily.

Message 3 of 4
rayco05
in reply to: hamsterHamster

You know what this seems like it was the problem after all. Going back to my previous file and trying this out actually worked. Can I ask why not deleting history of an object before skinning is so problematic?
Message 4 of 4
hamsterHamster
in reply to: rayco05

Theoretically (in the perfect universe), shouldn't be a problem, once ALL the torture acts on the polyCube are registered in the construction and tweak nodes - slow or veeeeeery slooooooow, but still working somehow. My suspicion is, that not every record is kept. Sometimes the metamorphosis grows so complex that it even becomes impossible to continue modelling: the tools become unpredictable, stall or crash Maya. Therefore, the solution is to collapse/flatten/delete the node web, and Non-deformer history deletion is gold.

,,,_°(O__O)°_,,,
Maya2019.1 @ Windows10 & GeForce GTX1080Ti

If the post was helpful, click the
 ACCEPT SOLUTION  button, so others might find it much more easily.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report