Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2d open pocket around a boss

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
698 Views, 3 Replies

2d open pocket around a boss

I am trying to use 2d pocket or face to machine all the plate around the boss in this part. I have used 2d adaptive and it is not ideal for the flatness as it jumps all over the place. I have tried multiple things but hsm will not generate a tool path. I am using a .500 endmill and the boss will have square edges after the endmill, then a form mill will put the radius on it. The part is made from flat stock and the boss is machined into the part by removing the stock around it.  Also could somebody explain the idea behind geometry and stock selection for 2d pocket.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Greg_Haisley
in reply to: Anonymous

The way I do this is to use 2D contour. Check Use stock contours (important). set roughing passes to a large number like 99. I reduce the roughing step over to say 75% of the cutter diameter. You should get a simple toolpath from the outside of the stock working it's way to the boss profile.

Good luck

Message 3 of 4
lenny_1962
in reply to: Anonymous

just use 3D adaptive, but model the boss in SW first then it will avoid the boss and start outside the part.

I never use 2D adaptive...ever

Message 4 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: Greg_Haisley

Hi Camtool-Ind, I had not seen the stock contours option in the 2d contour before. Thanks for pointing that out.

Jason

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report