Community
Inventor Programming - iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice
Inventor iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice Forum. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics related to programming, creating add-ins, macros, working with the API or creating iLogic tools.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Workplane size and placement

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
torbjorn
336 Views, 2 Replies

Workplane size and placement

The visual representation of a workplane can be moved or resized by the user. And workplanes defined inside a 3D sketch do not update according to  changes in the 3D sketch. Sometimes this can make it difficult to see where the workplane actually is defined.

With VBA the plane can be moved back by WorkPlane.SetSize or by redefining the plane (in our case normally line & point: WorkPlane.SetByNormalToCurve). However, this fails for workplanes defined inside a 3D sketch.

Workplanes inside 3D sketches are needed at line endpoints to ensure consistent dimensioning, but it can be hard to see where the planes belong when the visual representation no longer stays close to the line endpoints.

So, do anyone have a suggestion how to move the 'root point' of the visual representation of a workplane defined inside a 3D sketch?

Difficult WPs.jpg

Thanks,

Torbjørn (Inventor 2019.4)

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Sergio.D.Suárez
in reply to: torbjorn

Hi, If you create work plans outside the sketch, I think you will have no problems. Because they adapt to the references from where they were created.
If you work in VBA and create a 3d sketch, and in the sketch you create a plane, I think that every time you change any entity of the 3d sketch, you should redefine the work plane again to show a correct visual location.
I hope this helps. regards

Please accept as solution and give likes if applicable.

I am attaching my Upwork profile for specific queries.

Sergio Daniel Suarez
Mechanical Designer

| Upwork Profile | LinkedIn

Message 3 of 3
torbjorn
in reply to: Sergio.D.Suárez

Thank you for the response.

Yes, this works for planes created outside a sketch. The issue is only for planes created inside a 3D sketch. As the planes are used to place directed dimensions inside the 3D sketch, they cannot be created outside the sketch. (One such plane is created based on references of the 3D sketch and the plane is again a reference for another object in the 3D sketch.)

VBA redefine on a plane created inside a 3D sketch also seems to fail.

You mentioned creating a plane inside a 3D sketch with VBA; do you happen to have any example of such code? I haven't been able to do that so far, but it might help me find a workaround for my issue.

Thanks,

Torbjørn

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report