Community
Inventor Programming - iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice
Inventor iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice Forum. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics related to programming, creating add-ins, macros, working with the API or creating iLogic tools.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The RPC server is unavailable

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
Anonymous
3628 Views, 11 Replies

The RPC server is unavailable

Hi there,

I saw a simular post with the same problem a few years ago (without solution). 

So I am developing a vault job and have to open Inventor for it.

Randomly I get the error "The RPC server is unavailable. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800706BA)".

I can't figure out what causes this problem. Most of the time it happens when Inventor gets started a second time.

I'm working with windows 8.1, inventor 2017/2018 (both same problem).

Any suggestions ? 

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
chandra.shekar.g
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi @Anonymous,

The issue seems related neither Autodesk Inventor nor Inventor Vault. This might be due to Windows operating system.In general, almost all applications in Windows have this kind of issue.

There are number of suggestions and some of them listed below in the following links.

https://www.dell.com/support/article/in/en/inbsd1/sln283117/windows-server--troubleshooting--rpc-server-unavailable--errors?lang=en

http://techgenix.com/troubleshoot-rpc-server-unavailable/

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-performance/error-code-0x800706ba-error-message-the-rpc-server/7f1a33e6-f475-4f71-9e60-16d4a221a87a

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-pictures/windows-media-player-error-message-rpc-server-is/7b925848-d1eb-4ad8-a805-35dba0b397d4

Please feel free to contact if there is any doubt.

If solves problem, click on "Accept as solution" / give a "Kudo".

Thanks and regards,

CHANDRA SHEKAR G
Developer Advocate
Autodesk Developer Network

Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: chandra.shekar.g

Thanks Chandra,

I will have a look at those sites. It's a very anoying error message which halts the process, so I really need to solve it.

Message 4 of 12
chandra.shekar.g

Hi @Anonymous,

You are welcome:)

Thanks and regards,

CHANDRA SHEKAR G
Developer Advocate
Autodesk Developer Network

Message 5 of 12
Anonymous

@Anonymous I am facing the same problem, have you found any solution for that or any hint of what would be the source of it.

Message 6 of 12
Anonymous

Message 7 of 12
JBerns

I get the same error message after using Excel operations in my Inventor 2019 iLogic rule:

' Write data to cells
GoExcel.CellValue(oExportFileName, "BOM", CustCell) = Clipboard.GetText
GoExcel.CellValue(oExportFileName, "BOM", BMWLCell) = oValueList(0)

' Save and close the file
GoExcel.Save
GoExcel.Close

' Launch application associated with this file type
ThisDoc.Launch("\\ENG\UTILITY\Miscellaneous\GS-Excel_Macros.xlsm")
ThisDoc.Launch(oExportFileName)

No error occurs if I just use the Launch statements. I think there is a timing problem between the Close and Launch statements.

I have tried delays and user prompts to add delay after the close, but the error persists.

Regards,

Jerry

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CAD Administrator
Using Inventor 2022
Autodesk Certified Instructor
Autodesk Inventor 2020 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2017 Certified Professional
Tags (2)
Message 8 of 12
Ralf_Krieg

Hello

I think it's because the Excel instance create by the GoExcel statements is not closed. Can you try to add to the header section of your rule:

AddReference "Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel"

And modify your code to:

Dim excelApp As Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel.Application = GoExcel.Application

' Write data to cells
GoExcel.CellValue(oExportFileName, "BOM", CustCell) = Clipboard.GetText
GoExcel.CellValue(oExportFileName, "BOM", BMWLCell) = oValueList(0)

' Save and close the file
GoExcel.Save
GoExcel.Close

excelApp.Quit

' Launch application associated with this file type
ThisDoc.Launch("\\ENG\UTILITY\Miscellaneous\GS-Excel_Macros.xlsm")
ThisDoc.Launch(oExportFileName)

R. Krieg
RKW Solutions GmbH
www.rkw-solutions.com
Message 9 of 12
JBerns

@Ralf_Krieg,

I added the lines you suggested, but now I get this error:

Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. 

System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at ThisRule..ctor()
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
at System.RuntimeTypeHandle.CreateInstance(RuntimeType type, Boolean publicOnly, Boolean noCheck, Boolean& canBeCached, RuntimeMethodHandleInternal& ctor, Boolean& bNeedSecurityCheck)
at System.RuntimeType.CreateInstanceSlow(Boolean publicOnly, Boolean skipCheckThis, Boolean fillCache, StackCrawlMark& stackMark)
at System.Activator.CreateInstance(Type type, Boolean nonPublic)
at System.RuntimeType.CreateInstanceImpl(BindingFlags bindingAttr, Binder binder, Object[] args, CultureInfo culture, Object[] activationAttributes, StackCrawlMark& stackMark)
at System.Activator.CreateInstance(Type type, BindingFlags bindingAttr, Binder binder, Object[] args, CultureInfo culture, Object[] activationAttributes)
at System.Reflection.Assembly.CreateInstance(String typeName, Boolean ignoreCase, BindingFlags bindingAttr, Binder binder, Object[] args, CultureInfo culture, Object[] activationAttributes)
at Autodesk.iLogic.Exec.AppDomExec.CreateObjectWithInterface(Assembly a, String interfaceName)
at Autodesk.iLogic.Exec.AppDomExec.ExecRuleInAssembly(Assembly assem)
at iLogic.RuleEvalContainer.ExecRuleEval(String execRule)

I used Visual Studio to debug which revealed an error on the excelApp declaration line (see attached image please).

Regards,

Jerry

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CAD Administrator
Using Inventor 2022
Message 10 of 12
JBerns

I tested the code with Inventor 2022 and did not receive any errors.

I wish Autodesk could fix these Excel errors in an Inventor 2019 service pack or update.

CAD Administrator
Using Inventor 2022
Message 11 of 12
Ralf_Krieg

Hello

You must call any other GoExcel function to start the Excel application, before you can access the GoExcel.Application object. My example is a bit misleading in this point. Can you try to move the first line under the following next two?

I don't have Inventor 2019 to test this behaviour. Is there in Inventor 2019 iLogic the method GoExcel.QuitApplication available? If so, try to use this instead.

R. Krieg
RKW Solutions GmbH
www.rkw-solutions.com
Message 12 of 12
JBerns

@Ralf_Krieg,

Thanks for the suggested edit, but the errors persist.

Unhandled exception has occurred...

The RPC server is unavailable.

The cell editing is saved and the two files do open, but the above error is shown.

It would seem that I will not get this to work with Inventor 2019 without errors.

Thanks for all the help. Much appreciated.

Regards,

Jerry

CAD Administrator
Using Inventor 2022

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report