Community
Inventor Programming - iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice
Inventor iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice Forum. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics related to programming, creating add-ins, macros, working with the API or creating iLogic tools.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sort Excel Rows in Alphabetical Order

26 REPLIES 26
SOLVED
Message 1 of 27
C_Haines_ENG
898 Views, 26 Replies

Sort Excel Rows in Alphabetical Order

Hello all!

I cant seem to get this one to work even with the hyper lengthly documentation online. It seems it may not be possible to do this as the sorting method requires a rather random formatting to get the items to sort.

Range("A1:A12").Sort Key1:=Range("A1"), Order1:=xlAscending, Header:=xlNo

You can see beside the the Range.Sort there is a space, and the a key for what row to sort items by. I dont believe Inventors version of VBA supports this. Is there a way to get around this and has anyone successfully done this? Even previous posts of this topic were never anwsered. 

Thanks!

26 REPLIES 26
Message 21 of 27

@Curtis_Waguespack maybe you can assist here?

i have gotten the code work in VBA , but i can't get the sort property to work in ilogic. i've tried about all the combinations i can think of. i know some functions are not available in vb.net, or use a different syntax. Any help would be appreciated or a simple its not possible would also make my head stop spinning. thank you in advance

here is the VBA code:

Sub SortExcelRange()

'set ref to workbook
Dim oWorkbook As Workbook
Set oWorkbook = GetObject("C:\Work\Designs\R and D\8551-8599\8585\AutodeskBlog\SortExcelRow.xlsx")

'set ref to active sheet
Dim oActiveSheet As WorkSheet
Set oActiveSheet = oWorkbook.Sheets.Item(1)

'sort the rows. column b is primaary column in this example.
Call oActiveSheet.Range("a2:c12").Sort(oActiveSheet.Range("b2"), xlAscending)

End Sub

here is the ilogic (vb.net), i can't get the sort fields to take the inputs. 

Imports Microsoft.Office.Interop 'To use excel
Imports ExcelApp = Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel 'To use excel
AddReference "Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel" 'To use excel
AddReference "microsoft.office.interop.excel.dll"
'set ref to workbook
Dim oExcelApp As ExcelApp.Application = CreateObject("Excel.application")

Dim oExcelWorkbook As Excelapp.Workbook = oExcelApp.Workbooks.Open("C:\Work\Designs\R and D\8551-8599\8585\AutodeskBlog\SortExcelRow.xlsx")

'set ref to active sheet
Dim oActiveSheet As Excelapp.Worksheet = oExcelWorkbook.Sheets("Sheet1")

'sort the rows. column b is primaary column in this example.
Dim oRangeSort As Excel.Range = oActiveSheet.Range("A2:C12")
Dim oRangeSortColumn As Excel.Range = oActiveSheet.Range("b2:b12")
oExcelApp.ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets("Sheet1").Sort.sortfields.add2(oRangeSortColumn, xlSortOnValues, xlDescending, , xlSortNormal, )

Message 22 of 27
J_Pfeifer_
in reply to: AndrewHumiston

Skimmed through and I typically program inside ilogic but... Today I needed to create a macro inside of VBA. Remember, you can always call to a macro from an ilogic rule. So if you have a bit of code that functions within VBA, use InventorVB.RunMacro("Documentname", "Modulename", "macroname"). 

Referencing parameters inside VBA reference:

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-programming-ilogic/parameter-in-vba/td-p/7940657

Message 23 of 27
AndrewHumiston
in reply to: J_Pfeifer_

That's usually where I start, I am more used to the de-bugging tools, i just was looking for a second opinion to help this person out.

the one issue I ran into was deploying a VBA project among a few users can be tricky but not impossible.

thanks for your input!

Message 24 of 27

So It cant be done in iLogic?

Message 25 of 27

I'm not saying it can't be done, i don't believe anything is impossible. Right now i don't know how to do it in ilogic. 

Message 26 of 27

I FINIALLY GOT IT WORKING! After MONTHS and about 40 more attempts, I found one backend website that had about HALF of the solution haha.

Imports Microsoft.Office.Interop 'To use excel  
Imports Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel 'To use excel
AddReference "Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel" 'To use excel

ExcelApp
= CreateObject("Excel.Application")
ExcelWB = ExcelApp.Workbooks.Add

Dim DataRange as String = "A5:D9" 'Range of all data you want sorted
Dim KeySearch As String = "B5" 'Range of the key item you want to sort by.

ExcelApp.Range(DataRange).Sort(ExcelApp.Range(KeySearch), Excel.XlSortOrder.xlAscending, , , , , , Excel.XlYesNoGuess.xlNo)

For those coming across this you can follow microsofts vba database for all the other options. 

Message 27 of 27

Heck yeah! nice work!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report