Community
Inventor Programming - iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice
Inventor iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice Forum. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics related to programming, creating add-ins, macros, working with the API or creating iLogic tools.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shared & Synced Material library

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
736 Views, 4 Replies

Shared & Synced Material library

Hey everyone,

Here's the scenario, I work in a office with just one other CAD draughtsman, we both work on the same files from time to time but our textures and materials don't always correspond with one another. (on a wired network)

I would like to create a shared material library that we both have access to on inventor start up, the library should be able to sync so that when I add something new he will have instant access to it and vise versa as apposed to recreating it. 

I have already tried creating a shared folder on my desktop containing the library but after 2 or 3 days his computer stopped loading it and gave the error message "The protein library file is not available"

Many thanks in advance to any help on this matter. (:

Tags (1)
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Can you not save your material library to a network location that both of you can access, then have your project file point to it rather that it being on anyone's desktop?
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous

hey SutherNe,

Yes i have thought about it but I forgot to mention in my post that we make use of Autodesk Vault, so our project folder is set to our Vault folder, i'm not sure if i can still use that as I am not the most informed on this matter. 

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous

No prob.

What I did for our vault was to save the all the material and appearance libraries into a folder on the vault ( I chose to use the materials folder inside the design data directory) then check that into the vault and have your other users check it out from there, then as before have your project file look to that location within your vault working directory.

That way your still sharing it but with the vault you can keep better control of it.

I went as far as putting the entire contents of the design data folder, our templates and the vault project file into the vault for better control and distribution. But this may be overkill for just the two of you.

Hope that helps.

Message 5 of 5
Anonymous

i just finished applying this method to both our computers, it seems to be working perfectly thanks so much for your help (:

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report