Community
Inventor Programming - iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice
Inventor iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice Forum. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics related to programming, creating add-ins, macros, working with the API or creating iLogic tools.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Project file settings - «Workspace» variable

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
688 Views, 2 Replies

Project file settings - «Workspace» variable

Hi!

I'm trying to find a way to use a variable «Workspace» to use it in the «Folder Options» of a project.

The reason I want this is because I found a way to create, use and share a CAD standard (Templates + Design Data) accessible for every user, without the need of a Vault (not enough Inventor users/projects the justify the implementation of a Vault company-wide).

To bypass the local Templates/DesignData, I create a project which will serve as the CAD standard project (which I call a «Parent Project»), copy/paste the default templates/design data in the workspace folder and work my way to build the standard that suits the needs of a client. Folder Options are the following :

Design Data = .\Design Data\

Templates = .\Templates\

Content Center = .\Content Center\

Once this is done, I upload the «Parent Project» to the SMB server so everyone can access it as a «Parent», meaning, when I create a new project for a client («Child Project»), in the «Included file =» parameter, I browse to the Parent Project (client CAD standard), which will override all the Folder Options parameters to match the Parent Project parameters (all the paths become grayed out).

Honestly, accessing the templates and design data is a breeze except for the content center objects. The problem is that the «CAD standard server» write permissions is limited to admins. So when a designer insert a part from the Content Center in an assembly, he doesn't have write permission, thus can't place it in the assembly.

So back to my question, is there is a way to use a«Workspace» variable to use it in the «Folder Options» of a Parent Project so when a Child Project is created, using the Parent Project (included file parameter). Like :

Content Center = %CURRENTWORKSPACE%\Content Center\

Thanks!

Edit : Oh and please, don't make hasty suggestions just for the sake of making a suggestion without testing it yourself, it'll save my time, your time and everyone's time reading this post...

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
johnsonshiue
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi! This is an interesting request. I am not sure if this will work. But, Inventor project ipj file is basically a text xml file. You can edit it in Notepad, replace the path accordingly, and save it. You don't need to use Project command to edit the project file.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 3 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Sir, read the end of my first post... Also, I'm aware that the ipj files are xml files but I preferably don't want the designers to use notepad to modify the project files each time a new project is created, it's prone to errors, problems, additionnal support... etc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report