Community
Inventor Programming - iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice
Inventor iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice Forum. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics related to programming, creating add-ins, macros, working with the API or creating iLogic tools.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Measure.Extents still returning different values

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
llorden4
391 Views, 11 Replies

Measure.Extents still returning different values

This post appears to suggest this was resolved for measurement variations

It appears to be accurate for about 3 decimal places, but it's not matching model distance measurement results.  For example...

llorden4_0-1704455644283.png

Using the Measure Tool, shows the Y distance value of 490.462375832 but the Extents is returning a value of 490.46245175 for the same Y distance value.  Would be great to get these values to align.

MsgBox(Round(Measure.PreciseExtentsWidth,8))
Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
J-Camper
in reply to: llorden4

@llorden4,

What version of inventor are you using?  I found this in the 2024.2 release notes while researching something else:

"Resolved an issue where 'Measure' command is causing a slight discrepancy when it is set to 'All decimal'. INVGEN-71989"

not sure when it became a bug, but looks like they addressed an issue similar to what you are experiencing.

Message 3 of 12
llorden4
in reply to: J-Camper

We're on 2023.4.1

Message 4 of 12
J-Camper

I only brought it up as I don't know when the issue "INVGEN-71989" was discovered.  It may exist in 2023 versions of Inventor right now too.  If you change your measure tool precision from "All Decimals" to 8 or fewer decimals, do the 2 appear more accurate?  Or is there no difference, aside from fewer decimals?

Message 5 of 12
llorden4

Ran another test and still have accuracy only to 3 digits...

llorden4_1-1704834459657.png

Message 6 of 12
J-Camper

I can't reproduce this with a sample I made myself.  Can you share one of the problem parts?

Sample in 2023.4.1:

temp_pic.JPG

Logger.Trace(Round(Measure.PreciseExtentsWidth,8))

Manual measure tool:     23.680845864

code:                                  23.68084586

Message 7 of 12
llorden4

Here's a sample file I've been using.  

Message 8 of 12
J-Camper

@llorden4,

I still cannot reproduce the discrepancy you are seeing.  I even derived the assembly choosing the bounding boxes of components:
bounding boxes with dimensions displayed by 3D annotationsbounding boxes with dimensions displayed by 3D annotationslogger results B is trace 1 | A is trace 2logger results B is trace 1 | A is trace 2

4001-B:
temp_pic.JPG

Manual:                             491.316954540

Code:                                 491.31695454
Derived bounding box:   491.31695454

4001-A:

temp_pic2.JPG

Manual:                            493.471285685

Code:                                493.47128568

Derived bounding box:  493.47128569

I did make certain to zoom in on the body as close as possible to ensure the vertices i was selecting with the manual measure tool were furthest apart in the Y direction as that is what we have been focuses on during the tests. 

Message 9 of 12
llorden4

So it's just my imagination captured with a screen shot?  I don't get why you get different results just as you don't understand why I am.  The methods of point selection you describe are identical to my methods.

Message 10 of 12
J-Camper

I'm not sure what to say, but I attached the 2 parts with work points created @ the vertices that I used to get the matching results.  If you measure between "extent point 1" & "... 2" you should get the same result as the code.

Message 11 of 12
llorden4

Now this is getting interesting.  The two points you selected match the findings you are posting.  I was using a bottom edge to a point, that yields a different result.

llorden4_0-1704914991648.png

This tells me that the plane created to cut with isn't truly "level" or the loft creates a slight skew that is making one side of that edge longer than the other.  This was specifically designed for that edge to be "square" to the world planes, so something isn't behaving quite as expected here.  So this issue lies elsewhere of the boundary box.

Message 12 of 12
J-Camper

yeah I had to zoom in until I could not get any closer before I could identify which vertex to pull the measurement, so it would be hard to notice the edge was not perfectly square to origin.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report