Community
Inventor Programming - iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice
Inventor iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice Forum. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics related to programming, creating add-ins, macros, working with the API or creating iLogic tools.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Iterate solution between CFD and Inventor

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
u1130022
394 Views, 4 Replies

Iterate solution between CFD and Inventor

Hi all,

I am trying to model the deflection of a conveyor belt in the wind (in particular the actual rubber belt). Is there a way to iterate between CFD and Inventor such that you can take the results from CFD apply them to the inventor model calculate the deflection then take the new deflected geometry back into CFD. Ideally being able to automate this so I can do it a number of iterations would be great.

*Note I have CFD 2021 and Inventor 2022.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
matt_jlt
in reply to: u1130022

I haven't seen anything like that for inventor / cfd, but i could be wrong.

I think you might need something like ANSYS to implement something that will behave like that. Or if you work out the resulting forces on the belt just apply it in an FEA to get an approximation? Also, depending on the belt type, not sure how close you will get to approximating the movement of the belt.

Is there a specific reason you wanted to model the belt in the wind? Depending on the conveyor size etc. belt tension and trough should all be enough to prevent belt lift unless you are in an extremely high wind area then you can always use wind covers.

Message 3 of 5
u1130022
in reply to: matt_jlt

Thanks for getting back to me. I'm trying to d some research to look at different ways to hold down conveyor belts. Putting covers on would be one way to avoid it blowing off. However I wanted to look at other methods, like tie down points. The reason for iterating between the programs was that I suspect as the belt is blown and deflects it could catch more wind a bit like a sail.

Message 4 of 5
matt_jlt

No worries, is there a reason you are concerned about the belt being blown off? Unless you are dealing with extremely light weight / small belts, its not normally an issue as they are extremely heavy, especially when loaded.

I have seen wind covers that form a complete enclosure but that is usually to prevent material blowing around and not the actual belt. Also seen side panels / wind guards that just cover the sides, but again, mostly for material protection in elevated / high wind locations.

As for belt acting like a sail, it would need to overcome the tension of the system as well as lift any loaded material. Even at worst case you could just calculate the force assuming the belt is twisted vertically over a length, acting like a sail, and use that to determine if there is enough wind loading to even move it?

Message 5 of 5
u1130022

The purpose is to compare options. It is particularly for cyclone regions when looking to tie down for cyclones. However I do  like the idea of assuming the belt has twisted in worst case. It could be an alternative way to achieve the same purpose. Thank you.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report