Announcements
Due to scheduled maintenance, the Autodesk Community will be inaccessible from 10:00PM PDT on Oct 16th for approximately 1 hour. We appreciate your patience during this time.
Community
Inventor Programming - iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice
Inventor iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice Forum. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics related to programming, creating add-ins, macros, working with the API or creating iLogic tools.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor Memory Management

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
johnster100
391 Views, 2 Replies

Inventor Memory Management

Hi,

i'm writing a program to automate drawing creation.

To do this I first open and update the parts. There are about 20 parts in total i update and these are then added to some assemblies depending on the configuration required. 

As my program progresses the amount of memory used by Inventor increases and increases, it never goes back down when i close parts. I've checked that the parts are in fact being closed by looking at the number of open documents in the application object.

By the time i come to create my drawings Inventor is already using a lot of memory (despite the face that nothing is open) and this causes my drawings to create very slowly. 

I know i could close the application and re-open it but this seems a strange workflow to me. 

any ideas?

thanks,

John

Tags (2)
Labels (1)
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Hi,

You should start from checking all your code variables. If you set it in code to have some value or to be some objects then it will consume some memory, al objects and variables shoud be clered when they are not used. Try to run your inventor with and without your add-in to check what is the difference in consumed memory. Does all documents are closed or only invisible ? Maybe you want to share some video or code here to let us see what is going on?

Message 3 of 3

Hi,

thanks for the reply.

It's not actually an add-in i'm running, it's an external vb.net application, so it runs outside of inventor. 

It's the Inventor application which is using lots of memory, and i'm sure all the documents are closed as I'm also using the code documents.closeall() after i shut down my documents.

thanks,

John

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report