Community
Inventor Programming - iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice
Inventor iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice Forum. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics related to programming, creating add-ins, macros, working with the API or creating iLogic tools.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

In-Place Edit fails

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
gilsdorf_e
349 Views, 3 Replies

In-Place Edit fails

Hi, I'm struggeling to run a code that works well for parts, but fails when running on an in-place edited part.

Basically it fails when trying to add a sketch with

PartComponentDefinition.Sketches.Add(selectedPlanarFace, false)

The workflow would be that the user starts in-place edit of a part component. Then the Inventor Addin is started and asks the user to pick a face. Based on that selection, it creates a planar sketch on this face.

When run directly for the part component everything works well.
When run in-place, I'm getting the ActiveEditDocument. Casting as PartDocument and reading existing sketches from

PartComponentDefinition works well in Debugging. As soon as I try adding a new PlanarSketch with the selected planar face, it will crash with "Wrong parameter".

I suspect that the selected face is somehow in occurence context, so it cannot be used to create a new sketch.

Any ideas, someone?

Labels (2)
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Michael.Navara
in reply to: gilsdorf_e

When you pick the face in assembly context, it is FaceProxy object (not Face object). In this case you can use 

Dim oFace as Face = selectedPlanarFace.NativeObject

Message 3 of 4
gilsdorf_e
in reply to: Michael.Navara

Yesss. I was just going to post that is was a proxy issue. Sometimes it helps writing down you issue. Thank you anyways.

Message 4 of 4
cmcgoughHSS
in reply to: gilsdorf_e

I am having a similar issue, but I have already resolved the face proxy to a face object.

I am trying to create a sketch centered on a face, so I have identified the center point and can successfully place a work point at that location, but cannot seem to use it as the origin of the sketch.

Dim oPartDoc As Inventor.PartDocument

If ThisApplication.ActiveDocumentType = kpartDocumentObject Then
			oPartDoc = ThisApplication.ActiveDocument
		Else If ThisApplication.ActiveDocumentType = kAssemblyDocumentObject And ThisApplication.ActiveEditDocument.DocumentType = kpartDocumentObject Then
   			oPartDoc = ThisApplication.ActiveEditDocument
		Else
			i = MessageBox.Show("No part file selected for edit", "No Part for Edit", MessageBoxButtons.OK, MessageBoxIcon.Hand, MessageBoxDefaultButton.Button1)
			Exit Sub
  	End If

Dim oCompDef As Inventor.PartComponentDefinition = oPartDoc.ComponentDefinition

Dim oTransGeom As Inventor.TransientGeometry = ThisApplication.TransientGeometry
	Dim oPickFace As Inventor.FaceProxy = ThisApplication.CommandManager.Pick(SelectionFilterEnum.kPartFaceFilter, "Select Surface to Place Text")
	Dim oSketchAxis As Inventor.Edge

Dim oSketchFace As Inventor.Face = oPickFace.NativeObject

Dim edge1 As Inventor.Edge = oSketchFace.Edges.Item(1)
	Dim edge2 As Inventor.Edge = oSketchFace.Edges.Item(2)
	Dim curve1Eval As CurveEvaluator = edge1.Evaluator
	Dim curve2Eval As CurveEvaluator = edge2.Evaluator
	Dim maxP As Double
	Dim minP As Double
	Dim curveLength1 As Double 
	Dim curveLength2 As Double

Call curve1Eval.GetParamExtents(minP,maxP)
	Call curve1Eval.GetLengthAtParam(minP, maxP, curveLength1)
	Call curve2Eval.GetParamExtents(minP, maxP)
	Call curve2Eval.GetLengthAtParam(minP, maxP, curveLength2)

If curveLength1 > curveLength2 Then
		oSketchAxis = edge1
	Else
		oSketchAxis = edge2
	End If

Dim oEdgeLoop As Inventor.EdgeLoop = oSketchFace.EdgeLoops.Item(1)
	Dim oMinPt As Inventor.Point = oEdgeLoop.RangeBox.MinPoint 
	Dim oMaxPt As Inventor.Point = oEdgeLoop.RangeBox.MaxPoint
	Dim oCtPoint As Inventor.Point = oTransGeom.CreatePoint((oMaxPt.X + oMinPt.X) / 2#, (oMaxPt.Y + oMinPt.Y) / 2#, (oMaxPt.Z + oMinPt.Z) / 2#)

'Fails here at sketch creation
	Dim oSketch As Inventor.PlanarSketch = oCompDef.Sketches.AddWithOrientation(oSketchFace, oSketchAxis, True, True, oCtPoint)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report