Community
Inventor Programming - iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice
Inventor iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice Forum. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics related to programming, creating add-ins, macros, working with the API or creating iLogic tools.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Idw Customized Welding Symbols

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
BRLMCHKD
1247 Views, 7 Replies

Idw Customized Welding Symbols

Hi there.

Is there an opportunity to find /or add more customized welding symbols, to the default standard styles?

I mean in the same way that it is possible to set up different styles in dimenions.

We are very much in need of a "smart leader", designed as a "welding symbol leader" where we can write text

above the leaderline - see attached screendump.

KR BRL

2020-08-13_10-53-07.png

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
WCrihfield
in reply to: BRLMCHKD

You can create as many new welding symbol styles as you want.

You can switch which side (top or bottom) you want the text to be by turning the weld type symbol on or off on either the top or bottom of the line (within the Welding Symbol editor dialog), then put as much text into the "Prefix" box as you want, and it will keep extending the horizontal line to include the text.

Wesley Crihfield

EESignature

(Not an Autodesk Employee)

Message 3 of 8
BRLMCHKD
in reply to: WCrihfield

Hi  there WCrihfield.

Maybe we do not fully understand each other?

Our problem is still where we possibly can find the settings, to give us the opportunity
to write the text above the welding symbol leader line, without we at the same time have 

to choose a geometric welding signature symbol?  see inserted screendump.

/BRL

2020-08-14_07-16-24.png

Message 4 of 8
BRLMCHKD

Unfortunately, I cannot accept this 'one and only answer' as a solution to our problem! 

Message 5 of 8
WCrihfield

After trying to create a welding symbol, failed.  Then trying to use the Pick method to select one to get its ObjectTypeEnum, failed.  I looked into the Object Model to see if it is supported yet.  Unfortunately, I can't even find anything within the Inventor 2021 API Object Model for the Welding Symbol yet.  Even though there is a drawing selection filter for them, they are still unsupported in the API right now.  There are other similar drawing based objects that are in the same situation of having filter settings, but no API support yet.

Wesley Crihfield

EESignature

Message 6 of 8
BRLMCHKD

Thanks for you answer, and all your help 🙂

But it is rather disappointing, that the opportunity is'nt there.😣

I think I'll drop it as an idea for improvement, to the IdeaStation 🤗

KR. BRL

Message 7 of 8
marcin_otręba

hi, maybe different approach:

did you think about creating sketched symbol (welding symbol shaped) with input textbox for it?

Message 8 of 8
WCrihfield
in reply to: marcin_otręba

@marcin_otręba 

Way to think outside the box.  I could be wrong, but I believe the geometry within a SketchedSymbol is static, and only the Prompted Entries and/or Properties etc can change, without redefining the symbol.

@BRLMCHKD 

On the same note:

What about a Sketch Block.  They too can be kept in a separate file (if need be), like the SketchedSymbols are, but an instance of a sketch block can easily be exploded and altered (by either code or design intent), to fit changing text lengths?  This with maybe a vba macro button to get it, insert it, explode it, and start text editing, ready to be edited, in one click.

Wesley Crihfield

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report