Community
Inventor Programming - iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice
Inventor iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice Forum. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics related to programming, creating add-ins, macros, working with the API or creating iLogic tools.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Zoom to a checked Balloon

15 REPLIES 15
SOLVED
Message 1 of 16
ngnam1988
771 Views, 15 Replies

How to Zoom to a checked Balloon

Dears,

I'm trying checking balloons in the drawing. Could you help me how to zoom the balloon that problem found. I tried these code:

Dim _InventorApp As Application = ThisApplication
Dim oDOC As DrawingDocument = _InventorApp.ActiveEditDocument
Dim oSelectSet As SelectSet = oDOC.SelectSet
oSelectSet.Clear()
For Each oSheet As Sheet In oDOC.Sheets
	oSheet.Activate()
	For Each oBalloon As Inventor.Balloon In oDOC.ActiveSheet.Balloons
		'MsgBox(oBalloon.BalloonValueSets.Item(1).ItemNumber)
		If oBalloon.BalloonValueSets(1).OverrideValue <> "" And oBalloon.BalloonValueSets(1).OverrideValue <> oBalloon.BalloonValueSets(1).ItemNumber Then
			oSelectSet.Select(oBalloon)
			Dim oCamera = _InventorApp.ActiveView.Camera
			Dim NewTargePnt As Inventor.Point = _InventorApp.TransientGeometry.CreatePoint2d(oBalloon.Position.X, oBalloon.Position.Y)
			oCamera.Target = NewTargePnt
			Call oCamera.SetExtents(20, 20)
			oCamera.Apply()
			MsgBox("ITEM " & (oBalloon.BalloonValueSets(1).OverrideValue & " SHOULD BE " & oBalloon.BalloonValueSets(1).ItemNumber))
		End If
	Next
Next

Thanks!

Tags (2)
15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
WCrihfield
in reply to: ngnam1988

Hi @ngnam1988.  I think I see one or two details that may need to be fixed to make this work.  When I copied your code into a new iLogic rule in a test drawing with one page and several ballooned things, commented a few lines, corrected a couple things, and added a line or two, I think I got it working.  Since my drawing did not have any of the problems you were looking for, I just eliminated that one 'check' If...Then statement, then commented out your final message in the loop, and added my own smaller/simpler one.  Then I corrected the Point2d type that you were creating to make it a real Point (3D) type, and just added a zero in there for the Z spec.  Then made the zoomed window area smaller, because I use inches, and it was zoomed way out for me.  Then I added a line to un-select the Balloon object before the end of each loop, so it does not stay selected.  Then, when I ran that, it did as I expected.

Dim _InventorApp As Inventor.Application = ThisApplication
oSelectSet.Clear()
	oSheet.Activate()
		'If oBalloon.BalloonValueSets(1).OverrideValue <> "" And oBalloon.BalloonValueSets(1).OverrideValue <> oBalloon.BalloonValueSets(1).ItemNumber Then
			Dim oCamera As Inventor.Camera = _InventorApp.ActiveView.Camera
			Dim NewTargePnt As Inventor.Point = _InventorApp.TransientGeometry.CreatePoint(oBalloon.Position.X, oBalloon.Position.Y, 0)
			oCamera.Target = NewTargePnt
			Call oCamera.SetExtents(5, 5)
			oCamera.Apply()
			MsgBox("Review Selected Balloon", , "")
			oSelectSet.Remove(oBalloon)
			'MsgBox("ITEM " & (oBalloon.BalloonValueSets(1).OverrideValue & " SHOULD BE " & oBalloon.BalloonValueSets(1).ItemNumber))
		'End If
	Next
Next

Unfortunately, the message is always in the center of the screen, so it is always over top of the selected balloon we want to look at. 😄

If this solved your problem, or answered your question, please click ACCEPT SOLUTION .
Or, if this helped you, please click (LIKE or KUDOS) 👍.

Wesley Crihfield

EESignature

(Not an Autodesk Employee)

Message 3 of 16
ngnam1988
in reply to: WCrihfield

Thanks @WCrihfield 
I got a problem. I don't know why the view changed as these pictures. Do you get same error, or there's something wrong in code? I tested with Inventor 2018.3.10 and 2023.4.1

ngnam1988_2-1706061175940.png

ngnam1988_1-1706061123902.png

Thanks,

Message 4 of 16
WCrihfield

Hi @ngnam1988.  I did not notice yesterday when I tested the code, but after testing it again today on another drawing, yes.  I also get that odd problem.  That is wild.  It seems to not only move where each balloon's leader pointer is, but it also leaves them really messed up afterwards, because I can no longer just move them back into their original positions.  And using the UNDO button does not undo the issues it causes either.  When I grab the end of the balloon's leader pointer to move it, it instantly jumps way down and to the left on the screen, away from my mouse pointer, but then still tracks with the movements of my mouse, but at a large offset distance from the mouse's pointer.  And every additional time I try to grab the end of it, it just jumps away again, making it seemingly impossible to fix.  Then, when I delete those existing balloons, and try to place new balloons, I can not get that to work either.  Even trying to place dimensions on stuff in the drawing does not seem to work anymore after that point.  It's like the pointer coordinates have been permanently moved from the mouse pointer's position, to some other position.  This sure seems like a bug in the software.

Wait...I think I got something to work in the alternate iLogic rule I was testing with this morning.  I included specifying the 'Eye', not just the 'Target' when setting the camera in the loop, but that did not seem to fix it on its own.  When I added the View.Update line after the loop, that seemed to correct the very odd behavior.  Then after running the rule, it the balloon pointers have not moved, and they still act normally afterwards, and other stuff is still acting normally.  Below is the similar rule that I was testing with this morning, which seems to work better now.

If ThisDoc.Document.DocumentType <> DocumentTypeEnum.kDrawingDocumentObject Then Return
Dim oDDoc As DrawingDocument = ThisDoc.Document
Dim oSS As SelectSet = oDDoc.SelectSet
oSS.Clear()
Dim oTG As TransientGeometry = ThisApplication.TransientGeometry
Dim oSheets As Inventor.Sheets = oDDoc.Sheets
Dim oOrigSheet As Inventor.Sheet = oDDoc.ActiveSheet
For Each oSheet As Sheet In oSheets
	oSheet.Activate()
	Dim oBalloons As Inventor.Balloons = oDDoc.ActiveSheet.Balloons
	For Each oBalloon As Inventor.Balloon In oBalloons
		oSS.Select(oBalloon)
		Dim oCamera As Inventor.Camera = ThisApplication.ActiveView.Camera
		Dim oTarget As Inventor.Point = oTG.CreatePoint(oBalloon.Position.X, oBalloon.Position.Y, 0)
		oCamera.Target = oTarget
		oCamera.SetExtents(2, 2)
		oCamera.Apply()
		MsgBox("Review Selected Balloon", , "")
		oSS.Remove(oBalloon)
	Next
Next
oOrigSheet.Activate
ThisApplication.ActiveView.Fit()

Maybe someone from Autodesk could take a look at this process and figure out what was going on with that earlier process, or maybe get it reported to their folks on the inside as a process that causes buggy behavior, so they can fix it.  You will likely want to add your inspection check and message back in there.

Wesley Crihfield

EESignature

Message 5 of 16
J-Camper

@ngnam1988, @WCrihfield ,

I think the issue is not moving the eye with the target, this ends up skewing the view away from perpendicular to the sheet.  I modified the original posted code a little to get this working:

oSelectSet.Clear()
	oSheet.Activate()
		If oBalloon.BalloonValueSets(1).OverrideValue <> "" And oBalloon.BalloonValueSets(1).OverrideValue <> oBalloon.BalloonValueSets(1).ItemNumber Then
			Dim oCamera As Inventor.Camera= _InventorApp.ActiveView.Camera
			Dim BalloonPosition3D As Inventor.Point = _InventorApp.TransientGeometry.CreatePoint(oBalloon.Position.X, oBalloon.Position.Y, oCamera.Target.Z)
			Dim TranslationVector As Vector = oCamera.Target.VectorTo(BalloonPosition3D)
			Dim newTarget As Inventor.Point = oCamera.Target.Copy
			newTarget.TranslateBy(TranslationVector)
			Dim newEye As Inventor.Point = oCamera.Eye.Copy
			newEye.TranslateBy(TranslationVector)

oCamera.Target = newTarget
			oCamera.Eye = newEye

Call oCamera.SetExtents(20, 20)
			oCamera.Apply()
			MsgBox("ITEM " & (oBalloon.BalloonValueSets(1).OverrideValue & " SHOULD BE " & oBalloon.BalloonValueSets(1).ItemNumber))
		End If
	Next
Next

Let me know if this is not working for you

Message 6 of 16
ngnam1988
in reply to: J-Camper

Thanks @J-Camper
It's worked in correct now.

@WCrihfield: The real problem here is the "eye" of the camera like @J-Camper said above.
Thank you very much!

Message 7 of 16
ngnam1988

Hi @J-Camper  @WCrihfield 
It is possible with selected a dimension line?

I'm trying adjust code but can't get correct result

ngnam1988_0-1706167665754.png

Message 8 of 16
WCrihfield

All I can think of is that I must have copied the wrong version of the code to the forum window in 'Message 4', because I mentioned right in second paragraph of that response about adding in the code for moving the eye also, then adding in the code for updating the view afterwards.  But I do not see that code in the code I posted there.  I did have an iLogic rule that was working just fine in multiple tests before posting that response.  I know I had at least 3 different versions of that rule copied across 3 or more different drawing documents, with slightly different code in each one, so that is probably where the mistake happened.

Anyways, I do not really see the difference between the long route process you are doing there, and simply specifying the two 3D coordinates directly.  My working code just specified the 'Target' Point being at zero Z depth, then the 'Eye' at One Z depth, which seemed to work just fine.  You are specifying the initial Z depth for the balloon's current location using the Z depth of the original Target.  Well the Z depth of the Camera in a normal drawing is already at zero, so I just specified Zero directly there.  And normal the 'Eye' Z depth of the Camera in a normal drawing is always in the positive direction, with the X & Y at the same values as the 'Target'.  Then you are getting the vector from the camera's current 'Target' point to that balloon location point.  Then you are copying the current 'Target' and 'Eye', and moving those two points by the vector you obtained, and using those two copied, moved points to specify the new 'Target' and 'Eye' locations.  It seems like the same outcome could be achieved by just directly specifying the location you want the target to be, at the zero Z-depth, then specifying the same exact X & Y coordinates, with a positive Z depth, for the 'Eye', without having to go through all of those extra steps.

For example:

oCamera.Target = oTG.CreatePoint(oBalloon.Position.X, oBalloon.Position.Y, 0)
oCamera.Eye = oTG.CreatePoint(oBalloon.Position.X, oBalloon.Position.Y, 1)
oCamera.SetExtents(2, 2)
oCamera.Apply()

I know that the original 'Eye' point may not have actually been at 1 unit above zero, but I do not believe its actual height is important, as long as it is directly above the 'Target' point, because we are setting the 'Extents' right after that step, which adjusts the size of the viewing area.  Instead of specifying the specific 'Eye' point, we could have also specified the oCamera.UpVector property with a simple UnitVector that is just defined using 0,0,1 inputs.  In this 2D environment, that would tell it that the 'up' direction for the observer is in the positive Z direction (above the sheet).

I also created a simple, quickie iLogic rule to correct the camera issue in the first drawing document that I tested my original code in, which corrected the issues it created.  It uses the same technique, and worked just fine.

Dim oTG As TransientGeometry = ThisApplication.TransientGeometry
oCamera.Target = oTG.CreatePoint(0, 0, 0)
oCamera.Eye = oTG.CreatePoint(0, 0, 1)
oCamera.ViewOrientationType = ViewOrientationTypeEnum.kFrontViewOrientation
oCamera.Apply()
ThisApplication.ActiveView.Fit(True)

Edit:  But I guess we could just use oCamera.Target.Z instead of 0 (zero) when setting the Z-depth of the new 'Target' point, and oCamera.Eye.Z instead of 1 (one) when setting the Z-depth of the new 'Eye' point, since doing so is still simple enough, and is cleaner.  And I may have been wrong about just specifying the Camera.UpVector instead of specifying the new 'Eye' point in that process.  In some testing, that cause my sheet to go crooked (at an angle).  To fix the angled sheet afterwards , I set the Camera.ViewOrientationType property to the kFrontViewOrientation variation, in addition to the (0,0,0) Target & (0,0,1) Eye specs, in the correction rule.  That stuff is pretty tricky, and I do not usually mess with this stuff in a drawing environment, so I learned (or re-learned) some stuff while going through this, which is always a bonus.

Wesley Crihfield

EESignature

Message 9 of 16
J-Camper

@WCrihfield,

In my testing, the Eye.Z is no where close to 1, and the Target.Z is returning as barely not 0.  I moved the camera around the sheet and zoomed in and out several times:

INFO| 9: >>---------------------------
TRACE|Target: 69.6323222697763 x 23.0752925781323 x 2.27373675443232E-13
TRACE|Eye: 69.6323222697763 x 23.0752925781323 x 605.155377129554
INFO| 10: >>---------------------------
TRACE|Target: 133.463907928379 x 13.6981719509719 x 2.1316282072803E-13
TRACE|Eye: 133.463907928379 x 13.6981719509719 x 605.155377129554
INFO| 11: >>---------------------------
TRACE|Target: 165.162528681646 x 119.201749975272 x 2.1316282072803E-13
TRACE|Eye: 165.162528681646 x 119.201749975272 x 616.230569937549
INFO| 12: >>---------------------------
TRACE|Target: -156.620659092946 x -246.516320626627 x 2.27373675443232E-13
TRACE|Eye: -156.620659092946 x -246.516320626627 x 983.505210771881
INFO| 13: >>---------------------------
TRACE|Target: 43.123830602832 x 30.5918205168479 x 1.56319401867222E-13
TRACE|Eye: 43.123830602832 x 30.5918205168479 x 605.155377129554
INFO| 14: >>---------------------------
TRACE|Target: 42.123196109798 x 30.4504505374235 x 1.4210854715202E-13
TRACE|Eye: 42.123196109798 x 30.4504505374235 x 605.155377129554

The Eye.Z is the same value until you start zooming out so far the sheet starts to become small on the screen.  The Target.Z is more or less 0, but maybe it intentionally is not exactly 0?  I'm not sure why this couldn't be replaced with 0, but I avoided it because I was only interested in a 2D translation, and the best way to ensure that is to just pull the Z directly from the Target point.

Code for testing:

Dim cam As Camera = ThisApplication.ActiveView.Camera

Logger.Trace("Target: " & cam.Target.X & " x " & cam.Target.Y & " x " & cam.Target.Z)
Logger.Trace("Eye: " & cam.Eye.X & " x " & cam.Eye.Y & " x " & cam.Eye.Z)

I guess instead of translating the points, you could use the Z values from the original points to generate two new points directly, but I went with translating the points first in my process.

@ngnam1988,

The linear DimensionLine is a LineSegemnt, so I would use the Midpoint from that as the new target.  You can post the non-working DimensionLine code if you need help with it.

Message 10 of 16
ngnam1988

Hi @J-Camper 
I'm trying with this code:

oSelectSet.Clear()
	oSheet.Activate()
	For Each oDIM As DrawingDimension In oDOC.ActiveSheet.DrawingDimensions
		'Dim oColor = _InventorApp.TransientObjects.CreateColor(255, 0, 255)
		If oDIM.HideValue = True Or oDIM.ModelValueOverridden = True Then
			oSelectSet.Select(oDIM)
			'oDIM.Text.Color = oColor
			Dim DIMPosition3D As Inventor.Point = _InventorApp.TransientGeometry.CreatePoint(oDIM.DimensionLine.MidPoint, oDIM.DimensionLine.MidPoint, oCamera.Target.Z)
			Dim TranslationVector As Inventor.Vector = oCamera.Target.VectorTo(DIMPosition3D)
			oCamera.Eye = newEye
			Call oCamera.SetExtents(10, 10)
			oCamera.Apply()
			MsgBox("The True: [ " & oDIM.ModelValue * 10 & " ]") 'in "mm"
			oSelectSet.Remove(oDIM)
		End If
	Next
Next

Message 11 of 16
WCrihfield

My very similar inspection code always returned a simple 0 (zero) value for the 'Target' Z coordinate, instead of an extremely small value.  Not sure what the difference may be between my system and yours.  But you had the right idea about reusing the original Z-depth values of the target and eye, because it is definitely cleaner, and the proper way to go.

Wesley Crihfield

EESignature

Message 12 of 16
J-Camper

that is interesting that you were getting a 0 for the Target.Z value.  Did it ever change when you zoom out really far?  My very small, non-zero Target.Z value also fluctuated a little when zooming out really far then back in.  The fluctuation did not return to previous the same way the Eye.Z value did when i zoomed back in close.

I was testing in 2023.4.1 on a sheet size of 24x36.

Message 13 of 16
J-Camper

@ngnam1988,

Sorry i think i led you astray with the dimension line suggestion.  Your code was erroring out because you were using the midpoint object as the X/Y value instead of the Midpoint.X/Midpoint.Y values.  This however was not going to work because the DimensionLine is a linesegment divorced from the sheet space coordinates, and that caused the camera to zoom away off sheet in my test.

I changed the code to use the Text.Origin on the Drawing dimension.  This is probably better because it should move you to the text even if the text location has been moved away from the dimension line midpoint.  Here is the code that should be working:

oSelectSet.Clear()
	oSheet.Activate()
	For Each oDIM As DrawingDimension In oDOC.ActiveSheet.DrawingDimensions
		'Dim oColor = _InventorApp.TransientObjects.CreateColor(255, 0, 255)
		If oDIM.HideValue = True Or oDIM.ModelValueOverridden = True Then
			oSelectSet.Select(oDIM)
			'oDIM.Text.Color = oColor
			Dim DIMPosition3D As Inventor.Point = _InventorApp.TransientGeometry.CreatePoint(oDIM.Text.Origin.X, oDIM.Text.Origin.Y, oCamera.Target.Z)
			Dim TranslationVector As Inventor.Vector = oCamera.Target.VectorTo(DIMPosition3D)
			oCamera.Eye = newEye
			Call oCamera.SetExtents(10, 10)
			oCamera.Apply()
			MsgBox("The True: [ " & oDIM.ModelValue * 10 & " ]") 'in "mm"
			oSelectSet.Remove(oDIM)
		End If
	Next
Next

Let me know if you have any further questions/issues

Message 14 of 16
ngnam1988

It's working!
Thanks @J-Camper @WCrihfield 

Message 15 of 16
WCrihfield

@J-Camper  Yes.  I zoomed in and out small distances in some tests.  Zoomed out until sheet was either barely a dot, or completely out of site for some checks.  Zoomed all the way in until all I could see was the black interior of a single text letter for some checks.  Sometimes with the sheet inside the viewing area, and other times with the sheet off one side of the viewing area while testing at either range.  Checked at least 12-15 log results, about 2-3 times now.  I never got a non-zero value for Camera.Target.Z property.  I am using 2024.0.1 version, inches document units, and 8.5 inch x 11 inch sheet size.  Some of the other X & Y values are showing all the way out to around 12-13 decimal places.  I know the Double data type goes out to about the 15th decimal place.  Hard telling what could cause slightly different values like that.  Might be something like system hardware specs, system settings, how the zooming is done, or something else.  I use a 3DConnexion SpaceMouse Pro (3D mouse) for most of my zooming (and while testing), but sometimes use mouse wheel (Logitech Ergo M575), on a Dell Precision series tower PC with Windows 10 Enterprise 64-bit, Intel Xeon 3.7GHz processor with what looks like 16 cores, and 64 GB RAM.  This computer is nearing its retirement date according to the standards of where I work though.

Wesley Crihfield

EESignature

Message 16 of 16
J-Camper

@WCrihfield,

Here are some test results in 2024.2 on 24x36 sheet size again:

INFO| 2: >>---------------------------
TRACE|Target: 74.0900899623954 x 38.5802326081787 x -4.2632564145606E-14
TRACE|Eye: 74.0900899623954 x 38.5802326081787 x 1182.xxx-xxxxxxxx
INFO| 3: >>---------------------------
TRACE|Target: 80.3984979472774 x 20.9676086907837 x -2.70006239588838E-13
TRACE|Eye: 80.3984979472774 x 20.9676086907837 x 1182.xxx-xxxxxxxx
INFO| 4: >>---------------------------
TRACE|Target: 71.0602324425122 x 12.5423889753332 x 1.84741111297626E-13
TRACE|Eye: 71.0602324425122 x 12.5423889753332 x 1182.xxx-xxxxxxxx
INFO| 5: >>---------------------------
TRACE|Target: 71.0680002465706 x 12.4682960761741 x 6.3948846218409E-13
TRACE|Eye: 71.0680002465706 x 12.4682960761741 x 1182.xxx-xxxxxxxx
INFO| 6: >>---------------------------
TRACE|Target: 45.7200012207031 x 30.4799995422363 x 0
TRACE|Eye: 45.7200012207031 x 30.4799995422363 x 1182.xxx-xxxxxxxx
INFO| 7: >>---------------------------
TRACE|Target: 66.8489818484333 x 4.74188549209994 x 0
TRACE|Eye: 66.8489818484333 x 4.74188549209994 x 1182.xxx-xxxxxxxx
INFO| 8: >>---------------------------
TRACE|Target: 28.0767183115937 x 43.8501332128442 x -4.54747350886464E-13
TRACE|Eye: 28.0767183115937 x 43.8501332128442 x 1182.xxx-xxxxxxxx
INFO| 9: >>---------------------------
TRACE|Target: 45.7200012207031 x 30.4799995422363 x 0
TRACE|Eye: 45.7200012207031 x 30.4799995422363 x 1182.xxx-xxxxxxxx
INFO| 10: >>---------------------------
TRACE|Target: 901.494660309245 x -367.421863986079 x 0
TRACE|Eye: 901.494660309245 x -367.421863986079 x 2207.0299489417
INFO| 11: >>---------------------------
TRACE|Target: 53.3231867701825 x 35.2378712320206 x 0
TRACE|Eye: 53.3231867701825 x 35.2378712320206 x 1182.xxx-xxxxxxxx
INFO| 12: >>---------------------------
TRACE|Target: 50.8539974842537 x 44.4563207547277 x 4.54747350886464E-13
TRACE|Eye: 50.8539974842537 x 44.4563207547277 x 1182.xxx-xxxxxxxx

I was able to get a perfect zero @ trace 6 when I double clicked MMB [middle mouse button] to zoom sheet extents.  I zoomed out further for trace 7, then zoomed in close again for trace 8.  MMB back for trace 9, small zoom out then in for traces 10 & 11 respectively, then finally zoomed in really close again for trace 12.

I only use a normal mouse scroll wheel [Perimice-508] working on a Dell XPS 8940 with Win 10 Pro x64 11th gen intel i7-117000 @ 2.5 GHz 8 core 32 GB ram.  Also has a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER

All in all the Z values fluctuate for me.

Edit:

for some reason the Eye Z value decimals are appearing as x's in my post?  I uploaded a text file if anyone is interested in the actual decimals I see in the logger window.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report