Community
Inventor Programming - iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice
Inventor iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice Forum. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics related to programming, creating add-ins, macros, working with the API or creating iLogic tools.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Editing iProperties from Drawing

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
e_frissell
225 Views, 3 Replies

Editing iProperties from Drawing

Curious if anyone can help debug this script I wrote which is intended to be ran from a part or drawing where the script determines if it is being ran in a part or drawing and if in a part it deletes certain parameters from the User Parameters list, the adds sheet metal values to the custom iProperties list.  It runs correctly on parts however when run from the drawing it deletes the parameters but doesn't add the iProperties to the part

I'd like to keep the single function although I think if it was written to have 2 functions then it would probably work

Sub Main()	
	Dim oDoc As Document = ThisApplication.ActiveDocument
	Dim smLen, smWid As String
	Dim refParams As UserParameter

If oDoc.DocumentType = kassemblydocumentobject Then 
		MsgBox("Only run on parts or drawings")
		Exit Sub
	End If

If oDoc.DocumentType = kPartDocumentObject Then
		Dim param As Parameter
		Try :	
			param = oDoc.ComponentDefinition.Parameters.Item("Length")
			param.Delete
		Catch :
		End Try
		Try :	
			param = oDoc.ComponentDefinition.Parameters.Item("Width")
			param.Delete
		Catch :
		End Try
		Call AddParams

End If

If oDoc.DocumentType = kdrawingdocumentobject Then
		Dim oRef As Document
		Dim refDocs As Integer
		For Each oRef In oDoc.ReferencedDocuments
			refDocs = oDoc.ReferencedDocuments.Count
			Try:
				If refDocs < 2 Then
					If oRef.PropertySets.Item("Design Tracking Properties").Item("Document SubType Name").Value <> "Sheet Metal" Then
						MsgBox("Part must be sheet metal to apply sheet metal functions")
						Exit Sub
					Else
						Parameter.Quiet = True

Try :
							Dim lenParam As UserParameter = oRef.ComponentDefinition.Parameters.UserParameters.item("Length")
							Dim widParam As UserParameter = oRef.ComponentDefinition.Parameters.UserParameters.item("Width")
							widParam.Delete
							lenParam.Delete
							oRef.Activate
							Call AddParams
							oDoc.Activate
						Catch :
							oRef.Activate
							Call AddParams
							oDoc.Activate
							'MsgBox("error deleting parameters?")
						End Try
					End If		
				End If
			Catch :
				oRef.Activate
				Call AddParams
				oDoc.Activate
			End Try
		Next
		oDoc.Update2
	End If
End Sub

Function AddParams
	Dim oPart As Document = ThisApplication.ActiveDocument
	'MsgBox(oPart.FullFileName) ' Part is active part?!
	iProperties.Value("Custom", "Length") = "=<Sheet Metal Length>"	
	iProperties.Value("Custom", "Width") = "=<Sheet Metal Width>"
	iProperties.Value("Custom", "Visual Description") = "=<Sheet Metal Rule>"
End Function

Labels (1)
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
WCrihfield
in reply to: e_frissell

Hi @e_frissell.  The portion of your code that deals with a drawing document seems rather long and complicated to follow, with one Try...Catch statement nested within another, and both having a lot of stuff going on within them.  But I did attempt to edit it anyways, to see if I could fix what was wrong.  The main thing I changed was how the document types were being checked, and how the Sub routine works.  I changed that other routine to accept a Document as input, to make it more accurate / efficient, and switch it from using the simple iLogic snippets to Inventor API code for handling the custom iProperties, that way we know which document is being edited there.

Not super sure what the purpose of the outer Try...Catch statement was, since the functionality of finding and deleting parameters was enclosed in the inner Try...Catch statement, which seems like the only area that might fail.  Also not sure why you seem to want to activate the referenced model document before editing the custom iProperties, then activate the drawing again afterwards.  I do not think the model needs to be activated to make those changes (just open in the background).  

Sub Main
	Dim oDoc As Document = ThisDoc.Document
	If TypeOf oDoc Is AssemblyDocument Then
		MsgBox("Only run on parts or drawings")
		Exit Sub
	End If

If TypeOf oDoc Is PartDocument Then
		Dim oPDoc As PartDocument = oDoc
		Dim oParams As Inventor.Parameters = oPDoc.ComponentDefinition.Parameters
		Dim oParam As Inventor.Parameter
		Try
			oParam = oParams.Item("Length")
			oParam.Delete
		Catch
		End Try
		Try
			oParam = oParams.Item("Width")
			oParam.Delete
		Catch
		End Try
		AddParams(oPDoc)
	End If

If TypeOf oDoc Is DrawingDocument Then
		Dim oRefDocs As DocumentsEnumerator = oDoc.ReferencedDocuments
		Dim iRefDocsCount As Integer = oRefDocs.Count
		If iRefDocsCount = 0 Then Return '<<< assuming you are only trying to edit model files, not the drawing >>>
		Dim oRefDoc As Document
		For Each oRefDoc In oRefDocs
			Try
				If iRefDocsCount = 1 Then
					If oRefDoc.PropertySets.Item("Design Tracking Properties").Item("Document SubType Name").Value <> "Sheet Metal" Then
						MsgBox("Part must be sheet metal to apply sheet metal functions")
						Exit Sub
					Else 'referenced document is a sheet metal part
						Dim oSMPart As PartDocument = oRefDoc
						Dim oUParams As UserParameters = oSMPart.ComponentDefinition.Parameters.UserParameters
						Try
							Dim lenParam As UserParameter = oUParams.Item("Length")
							Dim widParam As UserParameter = oUParams.Item("Width")
							widParam.Delete
							lenParam.Delete
							oSMPart.Activate
							AddParams(oSMPart)
							oDoc.Activate
						Catch
							oSMPart.Activate
							AddParams(oSMPart)
							oDoc.Activate
							'MsgBox("error deleting parameters?")
						End Try
					End If 'end of sheet metal check
				End If 'end of referenced documents count check <<< !!! no responce if more than one !!! >>>
			Catch
				oRefDoc.Activate
				AddParams(oRefDoc)
				oDoc.Activate
			End Try
		Next 'oRefDoc
		oDoc.Update2
	End If 'end of document type check
End Sub

Sub AddParams(oDoc As Inventor.Document)
	'MsgBox(oPart.FullFileName) ' Part is active part?!
	Dim oCProps As Inventor.PropertySet = oDoc.PropertySets.Item(4)
	Dim oCProp As Inventor.Property
	Try
		oCProp = oCProps.Item("Length")
	Catch
		oCProp = oCProps.Add("=<Sheet Metal Length>", "Length")
	End Try
	oCProp = Nothing
	Try
		oCProp = oCProps.Item("Width")
	Catch
		oCProp = oCProps.Add("=<Sheet Metal Width>", "Length")
	End Try
	oCProp = Nothing
	Try
		oCProp = oCProps.Item("Width")
	Catch
		oCProp = oCProps.Add("=<Sheet Metal Rule>", "Visual Description")
	End Try
End Sub

If this solved your problem, or answered your question, please click ACCEPT SOLUTION .
Or, if this helped you, please click (LIKE or KUDOS) 👍.

Wesley Crihfield

EESignature

(Not an Autodesk Employee)

Message 3 of 4
e_frissell
in reply to: WCrihfield

Thanks!  I always appreciate your responses

I have a bunch of drawing utilities in my drawing template that lets me edit all my part/assembly iProperties from the drawing which tends to be way faster - occasionally some people have put multiple parts/assemblies in a single drawing and I used the first try/catch statement to try to find the right part to edit.  The script started off as one of those iLogic rules and in this case I think the first try/catch statement became redundant as the portion where it finds the right part is irrelevant since it should only be ran on parts.  This probably also explains why there's a for each loop within the code when it runs on a drawing that should only contain 1 part file

Regarding the active doc - that was done because I couldn't think of a good way to call the function and edit the document I wanted.  In the case of running on a part document it was really easy to code something that worked there and when the function was called it found the part as the active document.  When ran on a drawing I hoped that if the part file was activated then as the active document the script would behave similarly to if it was ran on a part document - thus the original function would still activate.  Initially it had the screen updating set to false and after the script ran Inventor became inoperable so got rid of the screen updating and left it.  That was around the point where I realized I needed some help haha

The refdocs = 0 was a nice add.  I used the original "If refDocs < 2 then...." as some other script had a problem with refDocs = 1 and wouldn't edit the part properties and that just became the default way of doing things.  There could be other reasons it did what it did and I'm not knowledgeable enough to know 'why', but that was what fixed it and I kinda rolled with it since.

Thanks a bunch for the help once again, I've learned a ton from your posts

Message 4 of 4
WCrihfield
in reply to: e_frissell

😂😋  I know what you mean.  My stuff wasn't always neat or efficient either, and some of the less used / less important stuff still isn't.  Most of it has gone through several waves of updates, revisions, and coding style changes over the years as I have learned and changed my coding style.  

Wesley Crihfield

EESignature

(Not an Autodesk Employee)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report