Community
Inventor Programming - iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice
Inventor iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice Forum. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics related to programming, creating add-ins, macros, working with the API or creating iLogic tools.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Carry entities to an iPart member

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
harvey_craig2RCUH
262 Views, 1 Reply

Carry entities to an iPart member

I have an assembly that builds itself with a series of iLogic rules from a user input via a form, selecting from lots of components. Each component has about 10 different sizes. Currently the assembly places the component and sends the required size to a component and the component has a rule with all the measurements for each model size. The assembly then constrains the component to other components with face entities.

I have been exploring the idea of creating the components as iParts as it opens up the idea of saving entire model states without a new saved model state with different sizes affecting first saved model state. This is a good idea, however when I generate the iPart files it doesn't carry the face entities. These are essential for the assembly constraining stage. Is there anyway to add face entity names to the iPart member models, or have them carried from the master file?

Tags (1)
Labels (3)
1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2

Hi @harvey_craig2RCUH 

This is possible see this article here. The reason you can't see the entities is that there only stored in the factory file and not the member file. What needs to be done is to get the named face in the factory, loop over the member faces and compare the face.ReferenceEntity to the face. When they match you have the correct face. And can get the assembly proxy and away you go.

This unfortunately falls down if you make assembly level modifications to the face as now you have to loop through assembly faces, match the fragmented face.nativeobject to the factory face and back to the member face. It gets complicated quickly. I can share this portion if you will need that. 

If this solved a problem, please click (accept) as solution.‌‌‌‌
Or if this helped you, please, click (like)‌‌
Regards
Alan

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report