Announcements
Due to scheduled maintenance, the Autodesk Community will be inaccessible from 10:00PM PDT on Oct 16th for approximately 1 hour. We appreciate your patience during this time.
Community
Inventor Programming - iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice
Inventor iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice Forum. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics related to programming, creating add-ins, macros, working with the API or creating iLogic tools.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automating pipe end treatment - frame generator

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
will_roe
333 Views, 2 Replies

Automating pipe end treatment - frame generator

Is there anyway to automate the below process in frame generator/assemblies? The angle is rarely a whole number or to the closest 5. The tube is joined using donut elbows.

will_roe_0-1681250855782.png

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
will_roe
in reply to: will_roe

I think might have an way of doing through the API (which I have no experience successfully using😅). I would love some feedback from someone with API experience.

So I noticed that after creating a miter the part has a custom iprop created "CUTDETAIL1" + "CUTDETAIL2" if it's mitered on both ends and it creates the miter around the origin point. So I'm assuming (please correct me if I'm wrong) it's possible to write something in the API that cycles through all occurrences creates the below sketch and extrusion to any part that has "CUTDETAIL1" + "CUTDETAIL2" or a half version if only "CUTDETAIL1" exists.

will_roe_1-1681274433869.png

will_roe_0-1681274400690.png

Message 3 of 3
A.Acheson
in reply to: will_roe

Hi @will_roe 

Having just done a similar (easier) thing for the tube and pipe environment it can be certainly a complex task if your not used to the API. I would say I would be a relative beginner at creating sketches and extrusion via API so this is some advice from a fellow beginner. 

My first question would be is this something that can be done in frame generator allready? If it can well are you reinventing the wheel? If it can't then you have yourself a nice project. Second question, are you looking to modify an existing frame generator feature or piggy back an existing feature to customize it further?

A few things that will be needed to be learned if starting from scratch.

1. Part environment is a good place to start as you don't need complication of proxies for sketches and objects right at the beginning. Working through the assembly environment is a whole different ball game when it comes to processing part features. 
  2. Make selection by command manager Pick tool you can move to selection by code later. 
  3. Create a sketch on a workplane or face. 
  4. Project geometry.
  5. Create an angle workplane.

If you haven't done so allready the API help has some samples for features and 2d sketches written in VBA. If you find something in there you may need I would suggest convert to ilogic environment and test the implement. Then extract that portion and add to your project code. Example block creation with extrude pocket.

If this solved a problem, please click (accept) as solution.‌‌‌‌
Or if this helped you, please, click (like)‌‌
Regards
Alan

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report