Community
Inventor Programming - iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice
Inventor iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice Forum. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics related to programming, creating add-ins, macros, working with the API or creating iLogic tools.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alternatives of AllReferencedDocuments

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
aurel_e
716 Views, 8 Replies

Alternatives of AllReferencedDocuments

Hi all,

I have got an Ilogic rule partially shown below.

It is meant to create a folder for each sheet metal thickness present in assembly.

The only problem is that it's creating empty folders for any possible part's parent.

I think the cause is in that "AllReferencedDocuments" but I don't know how to change it.

I have tried with "ComponentOccurrence" but it looks doesn't work with the SubType

For Each doc As Document In oAsmDoc.AllReferencedDocuments
If doc.SubType = "{9C464203-9BAE-11D3-8BAD-0060B0CE6BB4}" Then
Try
R_Part = doc.DisplayName
oMaterial = doc.ComponentDefinition.Material.Name
oThickness = doc.ComponentDefinition.Thickness.value*10
Material_Path = New_Folder_Path & "\" & oMaterial & " -  " & oThickness & "mm" 

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
aelqabbany
in reply to: aurel_e

Give this a shot. It's not elegant, but it works.

Dim MaterialAndThickness As New ArrayList

For Each doc As Document In oAsmDoc.AllReferencedDocuments
	If doc.SubType = "{9C464203-9BAE-11D3-8BAD-0060B0CE6BB4}" Then
			R_Part = doc.DisplayName
			MyStringValues = New String(){doc.ComponentDefinition.Material.Name, doc.ComponentDefinition.Thickness.value*10}
			MaterialAndThickness.Add(MyStringValues)
	End If
Next

For i = 0 To MaterialAndThickness.Count - 1
	'MessageBox.Show(MaterialAndThickness(i)(0), MaterialAndThickness(i)(1))
	Material_Path = New_Folder_Path & "\" & MaterialAndThickness(i)(0) & " -  " & MaterialAndThickness(i)(1) & "mm"
	System.IO.Directory.CreateDirectory(Material_Path)
Next
Message 3 of 9
aurel_e

Hi @aelqabbany 

sorry for the late reply. I was on holiday and could not try it.

It is not doing what I need: basically is creating the folders but in the same way as the original rule. It is creating an empty folder with the material an thickness of the parent (multibody) and I would like to avoid it. I would like the rule to create folders only for the materials of the parts of the assembly.

Thanks.

Message 4 of 9
WCrihfield

Hi @aurel_e.  If I understand the situation correctly, then you have given up on trying to include material thickness in the new folder names, because the sheet metal parts are multi-body parts, and the thickness retrieved is always the parent part's main thickness, and not necessarily the thickness you are looking for.  Now you just want to create a new folder for each unique material found among the sheet metal parts in the assembly, correct?  If so, then this should do that for you.  This worked for a fairly simple example assembly I tested it on.

oAsmDoc = ThisAssembly.Document
Dim oMaterialNames As New List(Of String)
For Each oRefDoc As Document In oAsmDoc.ReferencedDocuments
	If oRefDoc.DocumentType <> DocumentTypeEnum.kPartDocumentObject Then Continue For
	Dim oPDoc As PartDocument = oRefDoc
	If Not TypeOf oPDoc.ComponentDefinition Is SheetMetalComponentDefinition Then Continue For
	Dim oSMDef As SheetMetalComponentDefinition = oPDoc.ComponentDefinition
	'oMaterialName = oSMDef.Material.Name
	oMaterialName = oPDoc.ActiveMaterial.DisplayName
	'oMaterialName = oPDoc.ActiveMaterial.Name
	'MsgBox("oMaterialName = " & oMaterialName, , "")
	If Not oMaterialNames.Contains(oMaterialName) Then
		oMaterialNames.Add(oMaterialName)
	End If
Next
'just to show them in a list
'a = InputListBox("", oMaterialNames,"", "Material Names", "List Of Material Names")
Dim oBasePath As String = "C:\Temp\"
For Each oName In oMaterialNames
	oNewPath = oBasePath & oName
	If Not System.IO.Directory.Exists(oNewPath) Then
		System.IO.Directory.CreateDirectory(oNewPath)
	End If
Next

I usually avoid using the SubType and those long unreadable strings, in favor of the several other readable ways of checking that, which usually just means a bit more code, but that's just my personal preference.

If this solved your problem, or answered your question, please click ACCEPT SOLUTION.
Or, if this helped you, please click (LIKE or KUDOS) 👍.

If you want and have time, I would appreciate your Vote(s) for My IDEAS :light_bulb: or you can Explore My CONTRIBUTIONS

Wesley Crihfield

EESignature

(Not an Autodesk Employee)

Message 5 of 9
aurel_e
in reply to: WCrihfield

Hi @WCrihfield 

Thank you very much

It is not what I was looking but it helped me to find the solution.

Your code is creating exactly the folders of existing sheetmetal components, while mine was creating additional empty folders referring to the parent multibody material.

I have been analyzing for hours your code (I am quite ignorant in ilogic syntax 😀) and at the end the problem was in this line:

For Each doc As Document In oAsmDoc.ReferencedDocuments

Mine was  AllReferencedDocuments

I was not spotting that, looked exactly the same but was making the difference.

Thanks again.

Message 6 of 9
aurel_e

@aurel_e wrote:

I have been analyzing for hours your code (I am quite ignorant in ilogic syntax 😀) and at the end the problem was in this line:

For Each doc As Document In oAsmDoc.ReferencedDocuments

Mine was  AllReferencedDocuments

I was not spotting that, looked exactly the same but was making the difference.

Thanks again.

I thought that was the solution, but now I am realizing now the rule is not looking inside the subassemblies and not exporting their sheetmetal flat patterns. 

Any idea?

Message 7 of 9
A.Acheson

Here is hopefully what you were looking for. The key is to exclude the reference to the base component of the derived files. This post  here gave me the filter (ReferencedFileDescriptors) to look for that reference and once we have that reference in this case the full file name we can remove it from the list of full file names retrieved in the first loop of all referenced documents.  . 

oAsmDoc = ThisAssembly.Document

Dim New_Folder_Path As String 
New_Folder_Path = "C:\Temp"

Dim AllFiles As New ArrayList 'Define array lists
Dim FlatPatternFiles As New ArrayList 

For Each doc As Document In oAsmDoc.AllReferencedDocuments 'Look at all Referenced Documents
	If doc.SubType = "{9C464203-9BAE-11D3-8BAD-0060B0CE6BB4}" Then 'Filter for Sheetmetal Documents
		AllFiles.Add(doc.FullFileName)'Add file name to list
		FlatPatternFiles.Add(doc.FullFileName)'Add file name to list

'[Check each part for referenced file indicating a Base Component is present
		Dim oFile As File
		oFile = doc.File
		Dim oFileDescriptor As FileDescriptor
		If oFile.ReferencedFileDescriptors.Count = 0 Then''Check for further Referenced files ( Derived Parts)>0 indicates derived part
		Else
			For Each oFileDescriptor In oFile.ReferencedFileDescriptors 
				sDerivePart = oFileDescriptor.FullFileName
				If FlatPatternFiles.Contains(sDerivePart) Then' Check for reference file 
					FlatPatternFiles.Remove(sDerivePart)'Remove if found
				End If
			Next
		End If
	End If
Next
']

d0 = InputListBox("Prompt", AllFiles, d0, Title := "AllFiles", ListName := "List")'Quick Check of list created
d0 = InputListBox("Prompt", FlatPatternFiles, d0, Title := "FlatPatternFiles", ListName := "List")'Quick Check of list created

Check = MessageBox.Show("Do you want to create the Directories?", "iLogic", MessageBoxButtons.OKCancel,MessageBoxIcon.Exclamation)

If Check = vbOK Then
	For Each oFile In FlatPatternFiles 'Iterate through valid files and look for Material and Thickness
			oPartDoc = ThisApplication.Documents.Open(oFile, False)'Open Part
			MyStringValues = New String(){oPartDoc.ComponentDefinition.Material.Name, oPartDoc.ComponentDefinition.Thickness.value*10}
	Next

For i = 0 To MaterialAndThickness.Count - 1 'Iterate thrrough and create directories
		Material_Path = New_Folder_Path & "\" & MaterialAndThickness(i)(0) & " -  " & MaterialAndThickness(i)(1) & "mm"
	Next

MessageBox.Show("Directory Creation Completed", "iLogic")

ElseIf Check = vbCancel Then
	MessageBox.Show("Canceled", "iLogic")
End If

If this solved a problem, please click (accept) as solution.‌‌‌‌
Or if this helped you, please, click (like)‌‌
Regards
Alan
Message 8 of 9
A.Acheson
in reply to: A.Acheson

After looking at this again I tried working directly with the leaf occurrences. It has the benefit of filtering out derived base component documents(derived part parent).  This will bring back more than one occurrence of a part so an easy way to just process one document is to add the full file name to an arraylist and then transfer to another to filter out these extra occurrences. 

Dim AssyDoc As AssemblyDocument 
AssyDoc = ThisAssembly.Document

Dim AssyDef As AssemblyComponentDefinition 
AssyDef = AssyDoc.ComponentDefinition

Dim SMFiles As New ArrayList 'Define array lists
Dim FlatPatternFiles As New ArrayList 

For Each Leafocc In AssyDef.Occurrences.AllLeafOccurrences
		Dim LeafDoc As Document
		LeafDoc = Leafocc.Definition.Document

If LeafDoc.SubType = "{9C464203-9BAE-11D3-8BAD-0060B0CE6BB4}" Then 'Filter for Sheetmetal Documents		
		SMFiles.Add(LeafDoc.FullFileName)
	If Not FlatPatternFiles.Contains(LeafDoc.FullFileName) Then FlatPatternFiles.Add(LeafDoc.FullFileName)'Remove Duplicates using string.contains method
	End If
Next
d0 = InputListBox("Prompt", SMFiles, d0, Title := "AllFiles", ListName := "List")'Quick Check of list created

d0 = InputListBox("Prompt", FlatPatternFiles, d0, Title := "FlatPatternFiles", ListName := "List")'Quick Check of list created

Check = MessageBox.Show("Do You want to create the Directories?", "iLogic", MessageBoxButtons.OKCancel,MessageBoxIcon.Exclamation)

If Check = vbOK Then
	For Each oFile In FlatPatternFiles 'Iterate through valid files and look for Material and Thickness
			MyStringValues = New String(){oPartDoc.ComponentDefinition.Material.Name, oPartDoc.ComponentDefinition.Thickness.value*10}
	Next
	For i = 0 To MaterialAndThickness.Count - 1 'Iterate thrrough and create directories
	Next

End If

Another method  is to work with the referenced documents and check for referenced documents containing a collection of occurrences using the ComponentOccurrencesEnumerator object. This will allow us to retrieve the first occurrence and then either work directly with this  or retrieve the document reference and work with that. It has the benefit also of filtering out the derived part parent as it is not an occurrence. Here is a nice post where its use is clear to see. And here is the API help for source relationships.

Dim AssyDoc As AssemblyDocument 
AssyDoc = ThisAssembly.Document

Dim AssyDef As AssemblyComponentDefinition 
AssyDef = AssyDoc.ComponentDefinition

Dim SMFiles As New ArrayList 'Define array lists
Dim FlatPatternFiles As New ArrayList 'Define array list of files containing flatpatterns to process

For Each RefDoc As Document In AssyDoc.AllReferencedDocuments			
	 If RefDoc.SubType = "{9C464203-9BAE-11D3-8BAD-0060B0CE6BB4}" Then 'Filter for Sheetmetal Documents
		SMFiles.Add(RefDoc.FullFileName)
		Dim RefOccs As ComponentOccurrencesEnumerator 
		RefOccs = AssyDef.Occurrences.AllReferencedOccurrences(RefDoc)'Reference the specific document in the assembly and check if it contains occurrences
		If RefOccs.Count >0 Then 'Check the qty of occurrences there
			Dim RefOcc As ComponentOccurrence
			RefOcc = RefOccs(1)'Get reference to the 1st occurrence of this document in this assembly
			'Do some work here or just work with document below

Dim RefOccDoc As PartDocument 
			RefOccDoc = RefOcc.Definition.Document 
			FlatPatternFiles.Add(RefOccDoc.FullFileName)
		End If 
	End If
Next
d0 = InputListBox("Prompt", SMFiles, d0, Title := "FlatPatternFiles", ListName := "List")'Quick Check of list created

Check = MessageBox.Show("Do You want to create the Directories?", "iLogic", MessageBoxButtons.OKCancel, MessageBoxIcon.Exclamation)

If Check = vbOK Then
	Next
	Next

End If

If this solved a problem, please click (accept) as solution.‌‌‌‌
Or if this helped you, please, click (like)‌‌
Regards
Alan
Message 9 of 9
aurel_e
in reply to: A.Acheson

Thank you @A.Acheson 

It looks that adding the occurrence qty check solved it.

It is a long, more complex rule. For the moment I can't spot any problem. If I do, I will ask again.

Thanks to @WCrihfield and @aelqabbany as well for the support.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report