Community
Inventor Programming - iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice
Inventor iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice Forum. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics related to programming, creating add-ins, macros, working with the API or creating iLogic tools.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Add iPart Data Field to BOM

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
arkelec
674 Views, 4 Replies

Add iPart Data Field to BOM

Not sure if what I want to do is possible.

In the attached iPart, there is a column in the data table named "Part Ref".  This is populated with a formula in Excel which concatenates two other data values, "Manufacturer" & "Part Nº".

So far, so good.

What I want to do is display the data "Part Ref" in the BOM in an assembly.

Is this possible? 

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
rhasell
in reply to: arkelec

Hi

You need to make a custom iProperty first, in your case it will be "Part Ref"

This particular field needs to be added to the iPart table. (I will upload the files)

Then use the excel spreadsheet as per normal.

When you build the parts, the field will be available for use in the assembly BOM.

In your example I added another field called "Part_Ref" and used that throughout.

ipart-1.JPGipart-2.JPGipart-3.JPGipart-4.JPG

Reg
Please Accept as a solution / Kudos
Message 3 of 5
arkelec
in reply to: rhasell

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply @rhasell, just what I needed. 

I've spent a fair bit of time looking at the BOM structure & available functionality since I posted.

I think I am going to add custom fields for "Manufacturer" & "Part Nº" to each part that I design & then modify the BOM is assemblies accordingly.

Does this sound like a good idea?

Message 4 of 5
rhasell
in reply to: arkelec

Hi

Yes it is an excellent idea. I have quite a few custom iProperties that are carried through myself.

There is one catch you need to be aware of.

If you have something like the following:

Stock Number = =Ø<OD> x <THICK> x <LENGTH> CHS

The User Parameters of OD, THICK and LENGTH must not be present in the default part template. (Standard.ipt)

Reason:

When you generate the parts from the iPart factory, The ipart creation will detect the presence of the User Parameters in the template, and create new values of OD_1; THICK_1; LENGTH_1

Subsequently, any calculated fields will fail, as any valid data will be place in the incorrect user parameter entries.

Hope that makes sense. (Plus it might not be applicable to you, but it is something to keep in mind for future, or if anyone else experiences this problem)

Reg
Please Accept as a solution / Kudos
Message 5 of 5
arkelec
in reply to: rhasell

Thanks again.
I'm already on the page with the naming, I've fallen foul of this sort of thing before.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report