cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPU Support for Linear Analysis

GPU Support for Linear Analysis

Will there be GPU support for linear analyses?

I think this will help reduce the solving time for large assemblies in linear analysis.

Thanks.
Regards,

Kenneth.

4 Comments
mitch.muncy
Alumni
Status changed to: Future Consideration

liam28V7Q
Explorer

GPU acceleration for solving not only Linear but also Non-Linear and all other types of analysis would be a MASSIVE upgrade!! I solve use non-linear analysis on a daily basis and need to speed up the solve process.

Other FEA softwares already support GPU solves i.e. MSC Nastran and ANSYS. This should be possible for at least the commonly used Quadro GPUs.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I know this is an old thread but the gap between CPU and GPU solvers is ever increasing.I know myself and others are actively looking to change simulation platforms (even though we already pay for product design and manufacturing suite), specifically because of the time saved in GPGPU compute on large models.

RichardLee3904
Enthusiast

I have thought the same thing.  Relatively inexpensive yet very powerful GPU's are now commonplace.  I just upgraded my system to an i9 14900K, and it has an NVIDIA 4080 Super.  Not because I really needed it for most of my work, but because it came as a package at a reasonably great price over packages with much lesser video cards.  (The 4090 would have been a stretch for me).    Now, most of the time, it's just idling.   It does help out a lot on point clouds, large facility models, 3D scanning, etc., but for most of my work it's just bored and napping, waiting for something to do.  Maybe someday I'll have free time to play a game that uses it!   But for work, it would be great if it could be applied to non-linear analysis, which I need to do frequently. 

If Autodesk could implement this, it would be a GREAT selling point over alternative software, hint, hint!  I imagine their competitors, if they have not already implemented this, they will soon.  It's not like this is a radical idea.   I know it is probably a monumental task to rewrite the solvers to utilize this, but Autodesk has the size and scale to recruit the needed resources to do this if they want to make Inventor NASTRAN a priority.  

Richard Lee, PE
Lee Engineering Inc
www.leeengineeringinc.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report