Inventor Nastran Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’sInventor Nastran Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor Nastran topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is dominant frequency and how to determine it?

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
Anonymous
867 Views, 1 Reply

What is dominant frequency and how to determine it?

Hi all,
I have a 2 body system, images attached. they both form an assembly for an transient response analysis.
since i am going to do transient response, solver requires that i feed the following in autodesk nastran.
Damping value (%), Dominant Frequency ( W3) and Dominant frequency( W4). 
I read the pages on the above terms as well as ball non linear transient exercise. 
I have run the modal analysis twice of both parts excluding other each time.
i got some frequency response for both parts ( how do i decide which one is dominant frequency). One tutorial states that the first mode is dominant & natural frequency of the body and i have to take the highest mode frequency out of both parts as dominant frequency of the assembly system , is that right? 
I have attached model results in images, could you help me decide please?

Tags (1)
Labels (1)
1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
Roelof.Feijen
in reply to: Anonymous

Hello @Anonymous ,

To determine the dominant frequency constrain (fully fixed) the area of the model that you expect to make contact with the ground (or other impactor) and run a normal modes solution with ~20 modes. Look at the mode shapes and find the mode you would consider to be the “dominate” response of the structure during/after impact. A look at the modal effective mass table in the *.OUT file may also help determine the critical mode.

Roelof Feijen

If my post answers your question, please click the "Accept Solution" button. This helps everyone find answers more quickly!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report