Inventor Nastran Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’sInventor Nastran Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor Nastran topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Symmetry Constraint

1 REPLY 1
SOLVED
Message 1 of 2
mwighton
1209 Views, 1 Reply

Symmetry Constraint

I was trying to get a model to run using a symmetry constrain but was unable to get it to solve, so I made a very simple linear static analysis to check if I was doing the constraint properly. The following are the results I got:

Im confused at to why the results are significantly off from each other.

I have attached the files as well.

Did this post help out? Hope it did.
If so please use the 'Accept as Solution' or 'Kudos' Button below.
God Bless

Mwighton
1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
mwighton
in reply to: mwighton

I have figured out what my problem is. I was running two different analysis, one with the force directed in the y axis and the other in the x axis. 

For the y axis analysis I had a total force of -5000 lbf in both models, but the half model should be half the force since the symmetry constrain reflects the force as well.

Similarly the x axis analysis I had a force pushing towards the middle of the part on one side, but when I cut the part in half and put the symmetry constrain the force was reflected as well. This is why my results were completely different.

On a side note, the solve time for the full model was faster than the half model which doesn't make sense to me considering the point of a half model is to decrease solve time.....But, either way my problem was solved with similar results.

Attached is a picture of the Von Mises stress.

Did this post help out? Hope it did.
If so please use the 'Accept as Solution' or 'Kudos' Button below.
God Bless

Mwighton

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report