Inventor Nastran Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’sInventor Nastran Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor Nastran topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Simulated Preload - Beam Element Nonlinear Analysis

1 REPLY 1
SOLVED
Message 1 of 2
travis.potier
369 Views, 1 Reply

Simulated Preload - Beam Element Nonlinear Analysis

I have a model in which I'm simulating a preload using a beam element per the instructions in the following link: https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/inventor-nastran/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticl...

My model is made up of solid steel bodies. The model runs just fine as a linear static analysis, but I can't get it to converge a single step when trying to run a non-linear analysis. I don't get any errors in the set up; it just doesn't converge in the slightest at the first step. Does anyone have any adivce, tips, or tricks for using the beam method for simulating preload in a non-linear analysis?

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
John_Holtz
in reply to: travis.potier

Hi @travis.potier 

The difficulty with the beam preload in the nonlinear analysis is that the full load is applied at time 0. If there were a way to ramp the preload (there's a suggestion!), then you could get it to converge.

There may be other ways to accomplish the preload depending on the situation. If the geometry were like the article (a band around a drum), shrink fit contact could be used. (In a nonlinear analysis, the shrink fit is applied "gradually" to allow it to converge. It usually takes 7 or 8 increments to stabilize.)  If shrink fit is not appropriate, you could use thermal contraction to cause the beam to "tighten". The first subcase would include only the thermal load to contract the beam, and you would need to do a test to determine the temperature change that is necessary to get the preload. (A hand calculation would get you close to the amount of contraction needed, but the compression of the rest of the model  means that you need more thermal contraction to get the desired preload than indicated by the hand calculation.)

John Holtz, P.E.

Global Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

If not provided already, be sure to indicate the version of Inventor Nastran you are using!

"The knowledge you seek is at knowledge.autodesk.com" - Confucius 😉

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report