Inventor Nastran Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’sInventor Nastran Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor Nastran topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Separation Contact Error Edge to Surface

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
darrenlovesmusic
506 Views, 5 Replies

Separation Contact Error Edge to Surface

Hi.

I'm not able to get the contact to work or is it simply a graphical setting for the deformation plot? The distance between the stiffener and plate is 0.5" so the max activation distance is set as 0.5*1.2"

Screenshot_216.jpg

Labels (2)
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Slightly clearer side view. 

darrenlovesmusic_0-1610658894222.png

Message 3 of 6
KubliJ
in reply to: darrenlovesmusic

Hi @darrenlovesmusic 

I think I see the issue. Increase the MAXAD value should fix. For separation you need to include the total distance of motion, not just the mesh size + 10%.

In your model, it appears that when the gap gets larger than the activation distance, contact fails. This won't cause contact to occur right away, but tells the solver beforehand how far out to look for contact that could occur.

Thanks,

James

James Kubli, P.E.

Please marked this as solved if your question has been answered.
Message 4 of 6
darrenlovesmusic
in reply to: KubliJ

@KubliJ ,

I tried 1.2*gap , I also tried SQRT(ElementSize^2+GapSize^2) = 0.7". I get the same error where the stiffener intersects the Shell. (element size = 0.5", gap = 0.5")

Message 5 of 6
KubliJ
in reply to: darrenlovesmusic

@darrenlovesmusic 

When you say error, I assume you mean the way the results look.

It could just be a visualization issue with the exaggerated deformed shape. Look at the displacement results, does the shell move enough to close the gap with the stiffener?

Look at both the shell and stiffeners displacement, does the shell displace more than gap + the stiffeners displacement?

You can also set the deformed shape to use the actual displacement and not an exaggerated one.

Thanks,

James

James Kubli, P.E.

Please marked this as solved if your question has been answered.
Message 6 of 6
darrenlovesmusic
in reply to: KubliJ

@KubliJ 

It looks to be a graphical error. Displacements look ok, in actual, as seen in the pic. Thanks for confirming. 

darrenlovesmusic_0-1610744641196.png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report