Inventor Nastran Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’sInventor Nastran Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor Nastran topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAE Baja Frame Analysis

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
Prashant_Jha
443 Views, 7 Replies

SAE Baja Frame Analysis

Hey everyone, I have modelled my roll cage in SolidWorks using weldments and now trying to run a linear static analysis in Autodesk inventor Nastran environment. I am trying to do the roll-over analysis. For this, I have applied the materials, created the mid-surface, applied the constraints and loads, applied the contacts, meshed the model and ran my setup. But I am getting error

Prashant_Jha_0-1620050598960.png

Prashant_Jha_1-1620050599169.png

I could not find the solution as how to rectify mine analysis. I have to use shell analysis only. Also, I have used two different types of cross-sections

I have attached the file. 

Please help me out in performing the simulation using mid-surfacing technique. 🙏

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Hi @Prashant_Jha ,

We can import a Solidworks file in Inventor, but it will not contain the setup of your analysis. Could you please provide an Inventor file that contains the setup of your analysis?

Roelof Feijen

If my post answers your question, please click the "Accept Solution" button. This helps everyone find answers more quickly!
Message 3 of 8

I have not imported the setup, I just imported the model and created the
setup in inventor itself
Message 4 of 8
John_Holtz
in reply to: Prashant_Jha

Hi @Prashant_Jha 

You need to attach the Inventor files, not the Solidworks file, so that we can see what you did incorrectly. The Solidworks file does not help us to tell you what you did wrong in the Inventor setup. 

Please attach the Inventor file. If it is a single part file, it will be an .ipt file. If it is an assembly, please compress the assembly files (.iam) and part files (.ipt) and attach the compressed .zip or .rar file.

John Holtz, P.E.

Global Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

If not provided already, be sure to indicate the version of Inventor Nastran you are using!

"The knowledge you seek is at knowledge.autodesk.com" - Confucius 😉
Message 5 of 8
Prashant_Jha
in reply to: John_Holtz

how to save the analysis setup of inventor nastran?

Message 6 of 8
Prashant_Jha
in reply to: John_Holtz

I am attaching the inventor ipart file

Message 7 of 8
imajar
in reply to: Prashant_Jha

Hi @Prashant_Jha ,

Seeing your questions brings back memories from when I participated in the SAE Baja competition.  Sigh . . . oh to be young again.

This autodesk article has a bunch of information about that error and will provide more detail in case my guess below is not right - your Inventor file still did not have any inventor Nastran information in it?

First a piece of advice:  Start small! 

Rather than taking the whole project and trying to analyze the whole thing in one go, just do a small piece first, like in the picture below (even though you see the whole frame, only a small part is meshed, for you - I recommend going completely basic, save a copy and delete most of the frame just to be sure).  It will be much quicker to set up, run, debug, and localize specific issues.  Once you get that figured out, you slowly add complexity until you have what you need.  

ajarrett_0-1620062305792.jpeg

and the most likely answer is:

Based on your picture, I would guess that the shell elements are not connected from one property to the next.  Zoom in and see if you can see disconnected elements.  The image below has two examples of this: 

First is the gap between the coped pipe and bent pipe - to fix that you must use a "Contact".  Sadly, Inventor Nastran cannot automatically detect this type (edge to surface on shells), so you will have to manually create this connection for every joint - which will take alot of time.

Second, since the bent pipe is actually modelled as a straight and curved sections as two separate bodies - and meshed as two entities, they must also be connected - I purposefully meshed the two with different mesh sizes to demonstrate the Inventor Nastran does not automatically merge nodes.  Inventor Nastran does not really have any tools to fix this, I recommend you combine those two bodies in CAD - then they will mesh continuously and it will be more realistic anyway.

ajarrett_1-1620062305795.jpeg

To help find which parts are "floating", it is common to run an eigenvalue analysis and view the results of vibration modes at ~0 Hz.

Although Inventor Nastran technically can do midsurfacing, in my opinion it more of an underdeveloped side feature in this software.  Normally, I whole heartedly encourage the use of shells, but Inventor Nastran just does not have a good toolset for shell elements.  If using shells is a requirement for your project, I would suggest you inquire from your professors which software your university has that would be best.

Aaron Jarrett, PE
Inventor 2019 | i7-6700K 64GB NVidia M4000
LinkedIn

Life is Good.
Message 8 of 8
Prashant_Jha
in reply to: imajar

Thanks for your piece of advice, it was very much insightful. I will try once applying the contacts.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report