Inventor Nastran Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’sInventor Nastran Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor Nastran topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pin and universal joint between bodies

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
Anonymous
1940 Views, 9 Replies

Pin and universal joint between bodies

Hi,

I'm completely new to Autodesk Nastran in-cad. 

I need to model pinned and universal joints between bodies in an assembly. How do I go about to do this?

With a universal joint I mean that the bodies are connected by spherical bearings that allow rotation around all axis, but are fixed in translation, hence the joint can not transfer moments.

Thanks!

Roger

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
John_Holtz
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi Roger (@Anonymous)

This post has some information about creating joints between parts of a model: Pinned connection in Autodesk Nastran

It also depends on whether you are performing a linear analysis (which uses small displacements) or nonlinear analysis (which uses large displacements and rotations), and whether you are simulating a joint between the model and the environment, or between two parts of the model. For joints between two parts of the model, one solution is to create separate rigid connectors in each part, and then connect the rigid connectors with beams or springs. use end releases on the beams or low spring stiffness to allow the free rotations about the desired directions. These two figures attempt to show the concept.

Figure 1: Sample JointFigure 1: Sample JointFigure 2: Five Pieces to Create a Pin JointFigure 2: Five Pieces to Create a Pin Joint

John Holtz, P.E.

Global Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

If not provided already, be sure to indicate the version of Inventor Nastran you are using!

"The knowledge you seek is at knowledge.autodesk.com" - Confucius 😉
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: John_Holtz

Hi John (@John_Holtz)

Thank you for the reply. It is a linear analysis with small rotations. The connections basically prevents moment transfer.

I made a test case to try what you suggested. It works fine as long as I use one spring to connect the rigid connector at the center of one of the fitting holes to the rigid connector at the center of the lug hole. But, when I add a second spring that connects the rigid connector in the center of the lug hole with the rigid connector in the center of the second fitting hole, it does not work anymore. Basically the lug is no longer free to rotate, which is quite obvious from the stress distribution and deformation. Both springs have high spring stiffness in all directions except from in rotation around the axis of the hole (where it is set to 0).

What am I doing wrong here?

Thanks

Roger

One springOne springTwo springsTwo springsSpring and rigid connector set-up for two springsSpring and rigid connector set-up for two springsSpring configurationSpring configuration

Message 4 of 10
John_Holtz

Hi Roger,

Out of curiosity, what happens if you delete the first spring (the one that worked) and leave the second spring (the one that did not work).

• If the lug rotates properly, then there is something strange with the two springs connected together.
  • If the lug does not rotate, then check to make sure the stiffness of the second spring are setup properly.

If you cannot find the problem and solution, please zip the assembly and part files (.iam and .ipt) and attach them to this post.

John Holtz, P.E.

Global Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

If not provided already, be sure to indicate the version of Inventor Nastran you are using!

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous

Hi,

One of a several solutions I already tried. It works with one spring (either spring), but not two. I've attached the assembly and part files to this reply. For boundary conditions I've used a fixed support at the base of the fitting and a rigid connector to a support with freedom to rotate around the hole axis (pinned support) at the other end of the beam with the lug.

Message 6 of 10
John_Holtz

Hi Roger,

This was an unexpected problem. Smiley Happy

The generic material properties were causing the problem. Because they were so weak (E=0.0001), the analysis thought that the model was underconstrained, so it added some automatic constraints. However it decided to constrain the model, it acted as if the lug was constrained in Rz.

If you enter a more realistic modulus of elasticity (such as E=1E5), the analysis runs without warnings and gives the expected deformed shape.

If my post answers your question, please click the "Accept as Solution" button. This helps everyone find answers more quickly!

John Holtz, P.E.

Global Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous

John,

Unexpected and learning by doing 🙂

It works, thank you!

Would be nice to see an easier way to implement joints and similar boundary conditions in NASTRAN in-cad 🙂

Roger

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous

@John_Holtz a follow up question to this.

Is it possible to extract the forces in a joint simulated using springs?

Thanks,

Roger

Message 9 of 10
John_Holtz

Yes, you can view the results in the spring connectors.

1. Before running the analysis, edit the analysis settings ("Analysis > Edit") and check the option to output force.
  2. Run the analysis.
  3. In the results, choose "Other > BUSH FORCE ..." or "Other > BUSH MOMENT ...". ("BUSH" is Nastran's name for a spring element. Smiley Surprised)

John Holtz, P.E.

Global Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 10 of 10
Anonymous

That's good to know.  I was hoping there would be an equivalent to the pin and universal joints that sim-mechanical has, but this will suffice for now.  I'm having trouble setting up the universal joint using the same techniques shown here.  Would you be able to show a similar set-up example for that case?

Thanks in advance,

Ben Scheele

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report