Inventor Nastran Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’sInventor Nastran Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor Nastran topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Negative Kelvin temperatures in solution

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
rogmitch
550 Views, 2 Replies

Negative Kelvin temperatures in solution

Hi

I used Nastran for the very first time yesterday in the hope I could model part of a cryogenic instrument.  To understand the software I decided to model heat flow through a 1 metre cube of stainless steel.  Using SI units I apply 300K to one face and a negative heat flux to the opposite face.  Provided the heat flux is within a certain limits the results are as I expect.  However, increasing the heat flux I can establish negative Kelvin results for the cooled face-which is  obviously non-physical.  

Is there a way to limit the cooled face to positive Kelvin temperatures only?

As a side question-if I input a temperature dependence for the thermal conductivity of the stainless steel this dependence does not seem to be saved when I save the material as a nasmat file.  Am I doing something wrong or do I need to input the temperature dependence each time I create a model?

Any help with these two question would be appreciated.

Roger MitchellNegative temperatures.jpg

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
John_Holtz
in reply to: rogmitch

Hi Roger,

The software knows very little about physical limits. Therefore, your input has to mimic physical reality.

For temperature dependent properties, I agree that saving the material does not save the Table. My suggestion would be to save all of your tables in a spreadsheet so that you can copy and paste the data into the temperature-dependent table when needed.

John Holtz, P.E.

Global Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

If not provided already, be sure to indicate the version of Inventor Nastran you are using!

"The knowledge you seek is at knowledge.autodesk.com" - Confucius 😉
Message 3 of 3
rogmitch
in reply to: John_Holtz

Thanks John. Your answers are most helpful.  It is a shame that the program does not know about zero Kelvin  especially as I heard it was initially developed by NASA where a lot of 'space' components must be subject to cryogenic temperatures.  

Roger

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report