Inventor Nastran Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’sInventor Nastran Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor Nastran topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Negative CTE

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
m.moschetti
206 Views, 2 Replies

Negative CTE

Dears,

I would perform a simple linear static analysis to understand displacements due to thermal loads. As usual, I make a  steady state thermal analysis, then on a duplicated model I select the temperature load from output.  The problem is that in the assembly, one material has a negative thermal expansion coefficient (1direction, ortothropic 3D properties). Nastran solution failed because of that. Is there any chance to do it?

Thank you in advance.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
John_Holtz
in reply to: m.moschetti

Hi @m.moschetti 

What is the message when the analysis fails? Please copy the full error or warning message from the log file. (Use Windows File Explorer to view the folder where the model is stored, then browse into the modelname > InCAD > FEA folder. Open the .log file with Notepad, find the error/warning, and copy the 3 or  4 lines associated with the warning.)

When you use a CTE of 0 or a positive value, does the analysis run?

John

John Holtz, P.E.

Global Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

If not provided already, be sure to indicate the version of Inventor Nastran you are using!

"The knowledge you seek is at knowledge.autodesk.com" - Confucius 😉
Message 3 of 3
m.moschetti
in reply to: John_Holtz

Dear John,

Thank you for the answer. I now understand the point from fatals. Here below the errors. It was not a matter of negative CTE, but the missing shear modulus of the ortothropic material. I supposed that were automatically calculated if Poissons are defined, as for isotropic. Sorry for the alarm. Please delete the post if it is spammy.

FATAL ERROR T2020: INVALID MATERIAL DATA IN FIELD 2
+X 0X -8.299-53.3999-51.0399-42.9300+2 0.0
^------^

FATAL ERROR T2020: INVALID MATERIAL DATA IN FIELD 3
^------^

FATAL ERROR T2020: INVALID MATERIAL DATA IN FIELD 4
^------^

WARNING T2265: USING INITIAL TEMPERATURE SET FROM MATERIAL REFERENCE TEMPERATURE

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report