Inventor Nastran Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’sInventor Nastran Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor Nastran topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nastran In-CAD bolted connection

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
Anonymous
550 Views, 1 Reply

Nastran In-CAD bolted connection

Hi,

I have modeled a frame in Inventor to a customers dimensions and section sizes. They require calculation to be done on the section size, weld size and bolt capacity to ensure it is sufficient, this report will be sent to their structural engineer to approve.  I can analyse the columns and beams fine. Is it possible to analyse a bolted connection of 4 M20 bolts to produce figures for shear capacity in Nastran?  Is there also functionality for checking the capacity of a welded joint? 

I have purchased Inventor Professional, and am running a 30 day trial of Nastran in Cad currently. 

Many thanks for any help

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
KubliJ
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi @Anonymous,

Welcome to In-CAD!  Have you tried to use the Nastran Bolt connector?

For welds, it is a little trickier.  I wouldn't recommend solving welds directly in FEA.  They are prone to mesh dependency and will give different results for different mesh sizes.  The most common method that I know of is to look at the reaction forces along the length of the weld connection and use that to appropriately size your welds.  I am not sure exactly how to do that in In-CAD, have not had the opportunity yet to try.

Thanks,

James

James Kubli, P.E.

Please marked this as solved if your question has been answered.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report