Inventor Nastran Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’sInventor Nastran Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor Nastran topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximum Temperature vs Time of Component

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
442 Views, 2 Replies

Maximum Temperature vs Time of Component

Hi,

I have a "Nonlinear Transient Heat Transfer" simulation of an assembly.

Now I'm interested in the maximum temperatures of different components within the assembly over time.

Unfortunately I didn't find anything on that in ther forums/internet.

Is there a way to get a XY max. temp. vs time plot for the different components within an assembly?

Thank you very much in advance.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
John_Holtz
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi @Anonymous 

I suggest the third-party app "FNO Reader" to extract the data, and Excel to create the graph. (Version 1.50 is the current version of FNO Reader.) Page 5 of the FNO Reader documentation gives the general steps in the example "Graph Result from specific locations versus Time (or Step)". What you want to do differently from that example is this:

• Use different Idealizations to define the groups of components that you want to graph. For example, Idealization 1 is for parts A, E, G which you want to consider as "one" group where you want the maximum temperature, Idealization 2 is for parts B, C, F for another group with the max temperature, Idealization 3 for parts D, and so on.
  • Instead of extracting the "Sum" of the results in step 11, you want to extract the "Maximum".
  • In step 12 where you specify what nodes are in the group to find the maximum, you will use the element command (such as "CTETRA solid elements, PID=") in the "File contents" column to let FNO Reader determine which nodes are in the group, and enter the Idealization number (the "PID") in the "File details" column to specify which group of elements to use to get the node numbers.
  • The example is slightly outdated in that step 19 indicates you need to extract the time value from the subcase title. Instead, add step 15b which would indicate to check the box "Replace subcase title with step value". This will output the actual time value instead of a text string that includes the time. It makes graphing the results so much easier.

As given in the example (step 13), you can define multiple tables to output results, one table for each Idealization.

John Holtz, P.E.

Global Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

If not provided already, be sure to indicate the version of Inventor Nastran you are using!

"The knowledge you seek is at knowledge.autodesk.com" - Confucius 😉
Message 3 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: John_Holtz

Hi @John_Holtz,

this worked really well.

Thank you a lot. 🙂

Best regards

Thorsten Opel

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report