Inventor Nastran Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’sInventor Nastran Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor Nastran topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lost Window ''Select Material''

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
stef.niemczyk
981 Views, 7 Replies

Lost Window ''Select Material''

Hi there,

I'm sharing my laptop screen with side display. I keep on disconnecting it and noticed that the window for Material Selection in Nastran In CAD was lost, somewhere off screen(s).

I tried everything I could find on existing tricks (Alt+Space+M), change of resolution, change of focus, change of monitors positions: none of these allowed me to get anywhere near the window.

Is there a way to simply reset the display or something? is there a David Copperfield that can sort me out? 🙂

thanks a lot in advance!

regards

stephane 

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
John_Holtz
in reply to: stef.niemczyk

Hi Stephane,

I just tried the Alt+Spacebar followed by M on my computer with In-CAD 2019. For some reason, those keystrokes do not work with the material dialogs. Strange.

Another suggestion that does work is this:

• Hold down the WINDOWS and SHIFT keys and then press the left or right arrow keys on the keyboard. This normally moves a window from one monitor to another and may pop the missing dialog box into view. 

You can try both of these on a dialog that does appear on the screen in order to see how they should work. (As you found out for the material dialog, not all tricks work on all dialogs.)

John Holtz, P.E.

Global Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

If not provided already, be sure to indicate the version of Inventor Nastran you are using!

"The knowledge you seek is at knowledge.autodesk.com" - Confucius 😉
Message 3 of 8
stef.niemczyk
in reply to: John_Holtz

Hi John

thanks for the trick. that was tricky indeed. It actually wasn't working at first until i must have gone wild on up/down/left/right keys (was getting a little enoyed with it at that time 😉 

Anyway, got the window available now, so thanks a lot for the quick response!

have a good day/night

cheers

stephane 

Message 4 of 8
stef.niemczyk

John

I've got the same issue again but this time I'm unable to grab these windows from any of the solutions.

I tried 1 screen, changing resolution; focus, alt+space+M, Windos+sfit, …. nothing works.

I restarted the computer without second screen, no results.

I'm wasting considerable time messing around with this issue, I'm unable to produce work and might get late in the project because of this lost time.

What can i do ? do I have to uninstall and reinstall??

your urgent response would be much appreciated.

best regards

stephane 

Message 5 of 8
John_Holtz

Hi @stef.niemczyk

Do you have access to the same second monitor that you had been using? If you can plug it in, does the dialog appear on it? If so, drag it make to the laptop monitor, then it should appear after you disconnect the second monitor.

Also, Windows key + left or right cursor might work. It does something different than Shift+Windows key+cursor. (I only have my laptop monitor today, so I cannot test this completely.)

If that does not solve the problem, which dialog is missing? #1 or #2 in this image?

material dialog.png

And what version of Inventor or In-CAD are you using? 2018? 2019? something else?

There is some location in the registry where these coordinates are saved, so I will see if I can find that information.

John Holtz, P.E.

Global Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

If not provided already, be sure to indicate the version of Inventor Nastran you are using!

Message 6 of 8
stef.niemczyk

John

It's simply getting worst as I'm not getting any more pop up from Natran (load, constraints, material, etc.… nothing).

I tried with only 1 screen, with 2 screen, drag from/to laptop screen.

I repaired Natran

I uninstalled and reinstalled Nastran.

Windows key + left/right/up*/down doesn't work

Same with the shift key in addition

Nothing works and I've now lost a day of work.

Im using Inventor + NIC 2018.

Ive seen some post about registry, i tried that as well by changing the Positions X and Y to 300 and 200... it did nothing. Did I do it to the right one…. that goes beyond my capabilities

any chance someone can take control of the laptop remotly maybe?

thanks

Stephane 

Message 7 of 8

John

I just got it

using registry but this time on the main folder of NEiCAD for PosX and PosY both to 300 and 200

it seems to work now but it's a serious pain seriously and i cant afford loosing another day of work for this sort of things and I'm obviously not charging this time to my clients...

will let you know if it comes again

regards

stephane

Message 8 of 8
John_Holtz

Hi @stef.niemczyk

I am glad that you found it. I was just working on how to determine what the registry settings were and was about to post this:

Screen CoordinatesScreen Coordinates

• #1, "Material" dialog: change PosX and PosY for "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Autodesk\Autodesk Nastran In-CAD 2019\NEiCAD"
  • #2, Material DB dialog: change PosX and PosY for "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Autodesk\Autodesk Nastran In-CAD 2019\NEiCAD\Material DB Dialog"

where the year needs to be changed for the version that you are using. Many other dialogs are also listed under "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Autodesk\Autodesk Nastran In-CAD 2019\NEiCAD" in case any of those go missing. Note that position 0,0 is the top left corner of the screen, with PosX increasing toward the right and PosY increasing toward the bottom. When using a second monitor, the positions can be either positive or negative depending on where the second monitor is "positioned" relative to the main monitor.

John Holtz, P.E.

Global Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report