Inventor Nastran Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’sInventor Nastran Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor Nastran topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Generate Mesh Failure for Swept Part

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
957 Views, 5 Replies

Generate Mesh Failure for Swept Part

Hi, I have a fairly simple part that is essentially a pipe with a few bends in it that will ultimately be part of a larger assembly, but this part in particular is having problems. When I go into Nastran In-CAD,  shell the part, and then attempt to generate a mesh, I get a "mesh failed" message maybe 10% of the time, it works just fine about 25% of the time, and 65% of the time Inventor crashes. Inventor Stress Analysis meshes the part just fine every time, so what is going on/ how do I fix this? See attached part file.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi kent,

Shel mesh by default uses quad elements.

I think that the shape and the aspect ratio of the pipe makes the quad mesh fail with the default mesh.

If you use triangular mesh it will succeed.

Or, you can use quad mesh, but then you need to use a smaller mesh size. I was succesful with meshing the part by using a 2 in size.

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous

How do I switch to triangular mesh? I tried with a 2in size on the standard shell mesh and it crashed as usual.

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous

Here is the shell idealization:

1.PNG

This is the triangular mesh with default size:

2.PNG

This is the quad mesh with 2 in size:

3.PNG

I'm using Autodesk Nasran in CAD 2018 R1 (which is not the latest update).

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous

Thanks Alessandro, switching to triangular mesh solved the problem and I was able to successfully add the pipes back into the full assembly.

Message 6 of 6
isancheze

Sir I have found the answer: don't do the pipe with the sweep tool. Do it with the runpipe tool of the environment.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report