Inventor Nastran Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’sInventor Nastran Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor Nastran topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fixed Expansion of a Cylinder/Coil

1 REPLY 1
SOLVED
Message 1 of 2
paulbenson4290
455 Views, 1 Reply

Fixed Expansion of a Cylinder/Coil

Hi, 

I am looking to simulate the stresses on a cylinder (or a coil) when subjected to fixed radial expansion. 

I have a cylinder with an ID of Ø17.5mm that has opposing castellated cuts to turn it into a type of radial spring. I'd like to know what stress (and ideally what pressure) is produced when this is expanded so the ID of the part is Ø19.5.

I'm using a non-linear static analysis.

When I try the "Enforced Motion" option, with a fixed distance of 1mm normal to the ID of the part, it just moves the whole cylinder 1mm in one direction and doesn't apply any stress.

I tried to use just 1/4 of the part and move the two cut faces of the quarter 1mm each (parallel to the cut direction in the relevant x and z direction) but I can't constrain it in a way I think will produce meaningful results without getting a "Singularity" error. 

I can change the pressure on the ID to refine to the point I get (about) 1mm (radially, 2mm on diameter) of movement and record the stress but I'm attempting to improve the current design and this is time-consuming to repeat so I would like to use Enforced motion if possible.

Any ideas?

Regards,

Paul.    

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
John_Holtz
in reply to: paulbenson4290

Hi Paul,

I did not know that the enforced motion could be applied in a normal direction. I learned something new today!

But considering that the geometry where the enforced motion is applied ALSO needs to have a constraint in the same direction, and I know that constraints cannot be applied "normal to the surface", how did you apply a constraint to the face with the enforced motion?

The usual method is to create a cylindrical coordinate system, and apply the enforced motion and constraint in the radial direction. This article describes creating the coordinate system and applying constraints in the new coordinate system: How to represent 2D axisymmetric elements in Nastran In-CAD. Hopefully you can adapt the article for your needs.

John Holtz, P.E.

Global Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

If not provided already, be sure to indicate the version of Inventor Nastran you are using!

"The knowledge you seek is at knowledge.autodesk.com" - Confucius 😉

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report