Inventor Nastran Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’sInventor Nastran Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor Nastran topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CQUAD4 elements for plane stress and/or plain strain analysis?

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
nino_pesic
328 Views, 2 Replies

CQUAD4 elements for plane stress and/or plain strain analysis?

Hello, I have just used Editor to manually create 2D analysis model featuring only a rectangular grid with CQUAD4 elements.

The problem I encountered is that I cannot find a way to change from the plane strain to plane stress analysis. I assume that Autodesk NASTRAN analysis run produced plane strain results; 2025 Reference Manual states in Section 4, p.88-93 that CQUAD4 elements can be used as shells for membrane-bending or plain strain elements, but nothing explicitly said about plane stress analysis.

(For example, with ABAQUS it would be a simple matter of changing the element type in the deck from generalised CPE4 to CPS4.)

The only other reference I found in Remark no. 11 on PSHELL (Section 4, p.335-337) which states that for "plain stress analysis MID2 value should be set to -1), but nothing about what it should be for the plane stress analysis. I tried -1 and 0 but found no obvious differences in obtained results.

What change to the input file would need to be made to use CQUAD4 elements for plane stress and plane strain analysis?

nino
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
John_Holtz
in reply to: nino_pesic

Hi @nino_pesic 

If the shell is not set to be plane strain, and if the loads cause no out-of-plane displacement, then the analysis is plane stress.

John

John Holtz, P.E.

Global Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

If not provided already, be sure to indicate the version of Inventor Nastran you are using!

"The knowledge you seek is at knowledge.autodesk.com" - Confucius 😉
Message 3 of 3
nino_pesic
in reply to: nino_pesic

Thanks @John_Holtz .

On the same topic, it appears that NASTRANs are diverging from each other in terms of commands/cards supported. For example: NX NASTRAN fact sheet mentions (among several other new features) PLOADE1 for definition of in-plane edge loads for plain stress/strain elements which does not exist in Autodesk NASTRAN.

Any plans within Autodesk to keep pace with these changes to maintain compatibility of input decks? (At least where implementation could be straightforward as might be the case with PLOADE1.)

nino

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report