Inventor Nastran Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’sInventor Nastran Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor Nastran topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change Number of Iterations

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
1444 Views, 4 Replies

Change Number of Iterations

I have been working on running calculations for a small(ish) structural platform. I have been playing around with it for a few days, learning to use Nastran as I go. When my analysis is solving, it has been doing 5 iterations. I have run 10-20 analysis with 5 iterations, then at some point it started doing 30. The issue is that this takes significantly longer. Can this be adjusted manually or does Nastran automatically run until it gets an acceptable forecast? Please see the attached image:

Untitled.jpg

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
KubliJ
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi @Anonymous 

The iterations are due to separation contact. My best guess without seeing your model is that the slower solving model has more contact, or relies more on contact for static stability. Separation contact is a guess and check process, meaning that it has to test to see if the contact is enacted or if the parts are separating and contact is not needed. More complexity means more contact to guess and check.

Thanks,

James

James Kubli, P.E.

Please marked this as solved if your question has been answered.
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: KubliJ

I was able to fix the issue by deleting all automatically created contacts and place all of the contacts manually.

However, it was a large model so I missed some stuff and the solver created an error at the end as a result. I found a few more issues, fixed them, then ran again... another error at the end. I tried doing my contacts with different picks (just had a feeling it may be the issue) and it ran without error.

It is frustrating to run the solver for 45m to find out that there is an issue with the contacts... is there any way to pre-test the contacts? In the modeling environment you can drag parts around to see how your constraints are working, is there any equivalent in the Nastran In-CAD environment?

Message 4 of 5
john
in reply to: Anonymous

I think this is 90 percent of peoples issues with Autodesk Nastran i am hoping they can develop an environment where this is possible the current environment set up is ok for small assemblies but when you are dealing with in my case sometimes up to 800 contacts it is all to easy to miss something. 

Message 5 of 5
kim.martin
in reply to: john

this is a helpfull video to check contacts: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxDSnI5CtwU

To access the full course for free and download project files use your Autodesk ID at https://customersuccess.autodesk.com/connected-learning/disciplines/mechanical/challenges/product-simulation By the end of the course, you should be able to: - Have an understanding of how the results are ...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report