Inventor Nastran Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’sInventor Nastran Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor Nastran topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bearing vs Force

39 REPLIES 39
Message 1 of 40
RichardOliver4462
4370 Views, 39 Replies

Bearing vs Force

I have a model, and when I apply a bearing load to a lug get very different global results to a force of the same magnitude applied. I believe that this is only the case since the 2018 update...the bearing load seems to apply forces radially and not just sinusoidal distribution in the direction of the load.

I suspect that the application of a bearing load is not what I was expecting. For instance if one has a beam with a lug in the middle and fixed at the ends, applying a vertical bearing load  to the lug, to simulate a shackle pin does not give vertical reactions at each end of half the applied load. In fact the reactions vertically are very small and there is a large transverse load at each constraint.

Can you confirm, if either the bearing load application is not working correctly, or I have misunderstood the type of loading applied.

39 REPLIES 39
Message 21 of 40

I would suggest removing the ability to use the bearing load if it doesn't work, When I used it I was suspect and checked the values using both inventor professional FEA that still works and Ansys.  As for the verification manual, I don't think they have used it in some time, I started going through it and found files that are do not work.

I agree they should at least go back to the previous version or disable the commands if it doesn't work.

Message 22 of 40

Totally agree that this should have been disabled in the update following the error being found.

Users can not reasonably be expected to know which functions give reliable results and those that don't.

Message 23 of 40
David.Kind
in reply to: John_Holtz

@John_Holtz wrote:

Hi @David.Kind

I received your post, and we are working on a reply.

@John_Holtz any update?

Message 24 of 40
Anonymous

Actually I don't believe that this will be fixed before the new IN-CAD 2019.

We don't use IN-CAD 2018 due instability issues with the newes patch (several crashes with simple linear part simulation) and wrong bearing force distribution.

It is really unfortunate that a complete version of a product isn't reliably usable!

Message 25 of 40
John_Holtz
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi @Anonymous and everyone else.

The fix for the bearing load is scheduled to be released as part of 2018.2 hotfix 1 according to the release notes. As you may know from the thread Nastran In-CAD 2018.2 unstable, we are working on the kinks to get the hotfix posted to the download page.

John Holtz, P.E.

Global Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

If not provided already, be sure to indicate the version of Inventor Nastran you are using!

"The knowledge you seek is at knowledge.autodesk.com" - Confucius 😉
Message 26 of 40
David.Kind

@John_Holtz, to be clear, I'm interested in an update with respect to Autodesk's approach to quality on the Nastran-In-CAD product.

Message 27 of 40
Anonymous

Hello @John_Holtz,

thanks for the update!

We are happy that a hotfix was released and will try 2018 in the next project 🙂

Message 28 of 40
Anonymous

Nice to see that bearing load is now working in Nastran In-CAD 2018.2.1 and 2019 on the whole and has a new option to switch between "Normal To Surface" and "Components". Great so far. But there is still an issue with bearing loads at a cylindrical outer face. The load acts in the wrong direction with the option "Normal To Surface". The pictures should tell it all. With the Option "Components" it is working OK.

ModelModel

ResultResult

Message 29 of 40
David.Kind

$10 says they tell you this is normal and consistent with the UCS (glyphs be damned).

Message 30 of 40
Anonymous
in reply to: David.Kind

Someone else any idea why bearing load is working in the wrong direction in Nastran In-CAD 2018.2.1 and 2019 using option "Normal To Surface"? Maybe @John_Holtz ?

Message 31 of 40
John_Holtz

Hi @Anonymous

Thanks for the feedback. (Sorry it took me so long to try this out.)

I agree with your findings. I created a similar model so that I could test the bearing load on the outside of a cylinder and on the inside of a hole, like this:

bearing load test.png

These are the results that I obtained. I will report this to the developers.

Load direction

On shaft (outside)

In hole (inside)

+Y

Wrong

Okay

+X

Wrong

Okay

-X

Wrong

Okay

-Y

Okay

Okay

John Holtz, P.E.

Global Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

If not provided already, be sure to indicate the version of Inventor Nastran you are using!

Message 32 of 40
Anonymous

@John_Holtz

Hi John,

thank you for your investigation. Good to know that it's not only me. But I'm wondering why the bearing load on a shaft is working okay for you in one direction (-Y) and is not in all other directions. For me the bearing load on a shaft is working reverted in all directions if the option is set to "Normal To Surface" and is okay if the option is "Components". Bearing load inside of a hole is working okay with both options and in all directions here.

Thank you again.

Message 33 of 40
RichardOliver4462

I am correct in saying that the bearing load still gives incorrect values? I have a model and if I apply the same load as bearing or a force I get different SPC summations?!

Message 34 of 40

Hi @RichardOliver4462

What version of In-CAD are you using? (From within the In-CAD environment, click "Nastran Support > About").

There are two different issues discussed in this thread, so it depends on which scenario you are using:

1. The magnitude of the bearing load applied to the inside of a hole was inaccurate. This was most easily seen in the support reactions (SPC Summation). From what I can see, this is fixed in versions 2018.0.2, 2018.2.1, and 2019.0. (I see there is an article on the Autodesk Knowledge Network which has not been updated to indicate that it is fixed. I will revise that article.)
  2. The bearing load applied to the outside of a shaft could be in the wrong direction when the load is "Normal to Surface". This was most easily seen by the model displacing in the wrong direction. This fix is scheduled to be released soon (pending final testing, of course)

John Holtz, P.E.

Global Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 35 of 40

Hi John,

It might have been my mistake.... but, if you select bearing force and instead of Components use Normal to Surface (which was the default on the model I was using) for the Direction, even though the force is then applied according to one Vector Fy for example the SPC summation is not the same as the applied load.

I don't think the Normal to Surface option should be available for a bearing load....

Message 36 of 40

Hi Richard,

I am seeing a small difference between using "Components" versus "Normal to Surface", but it is not to the level in my test model where I would say that one is right and the other is wrong.

Bearing load ComponentsBearing load Components

Bearing load Normal to SurfaceBearing load Normal to Surface

How different are your results? What version of In-CAD are you using?

I suspect that a finer mesh would produce more accurate reaction forces in my test model.

John Holtz, P.E.

Global Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 37 of 40

I was getting an 11% difference, after a bit of mesh refinement it is down to 2% difference. I would expect though that the SPC Summation would always give the same as the applied loads..... 

I'm using version 2019.1

Message 38 of 40

Hi Guys,

Hoping I don't need to ask, but, was this ever fixed completely? Designing a chain hook for a 300 ton ROM hopper right now and I would certainly like to know.

Edit: I suppose I could test it, but still would be nice for this to be closed out.

Cheers

Message 39 of 40

Also looking for an update, are bearing loads in Nastran In-Cad functioning correctly now? Or are there still inconsistencies in certain scenarios? 

If resolved, from which Inventor version onwards was it fixed?

Message 40 of 40
John_Holtz
in reply to: bmcwilliam

Hi everyone,

This article applies to Inventor Nastran versions 2019 and onward: Bearing load applied normal to surface affected by mesh size in Inventor Nastran (autodesk.com)

In summary, applying the bearing load using "Components" produces the most accurate reaction force. Using "Normal to surface" is not as accurate.

John

John Holtz, P.E.

Global Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report